1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 1025R Sidewalk machine.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 4x4Farmer, Feb 28, 2016.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Was looking around here today and seems to be a lot of talk about sidewalk operations going on lately. Thought id share my setup with you guys. (looks to be the same as Mark O) Just picked this rig up about 3 weeks ago and now all our snow has melted. Was 55 degrees yesterday. Its a 2015 Deere 1025R. I have a cozy cab with a few modifications I did to it during the install. I built a metal plate under the seat and behind the seat cause cozy cab just sends a rubber mat to put back there. I added tractor cab insulation on top of the plates and under the seat before I bolted the seat back in. I then made a wrap with the tractor insulation for around the steering column to quiet down the engine noise. Then when the side panels where off I added some foam insulation in behind the firewall by the fuse panel area. I added on to the headliner switch area and put in a radio and speakers. I'm really happy with the outcome of the cab and I would really recommend anyone to make that wrap around the steering column..it really cut the noise down. Has not been cold enough yet to test the heater but I hope it works good. So I bought the tractor, cab, loader and 60" mower with it. I kept my JD 60 broom and erskine blower from my previous machine. The blower is a 50" erskine that was originally for a toro front mount that I converted to a deere quick hitch system. I really like the blower compared to deeres. The broom is what I use the most for snow. I bought a box blade for the rear so I could back right up to doors to pull snow away but I don't like how far out the back it is. Took it off for now till I come up with something else ( like the homemade expandable) Ive only used it for about 2 hours on a light dusting we had the other day and I had fun! Anyways here's some pics.

First day I picked it up. Had to plow open some sidewalks from drifting. Cab and front pto were not in yet so had to use the loader.
    [​IMG]

Mounting the cab onto the machine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heater
    [​IMG]

Radio build
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the machine itself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is the old machine it replaced....I think it will be a much better choice.
    [​IMG]

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a similar size deere 4100 which is much older but it has been great. I can get into the tightest spots.
    The cab is hard shell with fabric doors but there is a heater and wiper ect. The quick hitch setup gives us a blower blade and sweeper which is swapped very easily. The tractor services a mall with alot of walks, and once plowed he loads up an epoke drop salter trailer and traces the route salting it. Not having the salter onboard does sometimes make it hard but he hand salts with bins near the entrances if needed till he returns with salter trailer.
    New green paint sure is nice

3. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

deere4100

forgot to attach pic but I think they are very close in size.

yours is really nice.

4100deere.jpg

4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Yeah I was looking at some used 2210s and a couple other models but then I started checking into the new ones and the special offers they had I figured it was a better deal...and warranty is always nice. I sold my blade with my old machine so thats the one thing I don't have anymore. Thinking about seeing if I can get one of those boss utv v plows mounted on it. Would love to monkey around with that idea but with the lack of snow this season I think I've already spent enough on this unit.

5. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Nice setup and nice mods.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Any pics of the added insulation?

7. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

That thing is so cute!!! Vary nice!! I wouldn't mind playing in that at all, bears shovelling or walk behind that's forsure...

8. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I have to run up to the shop in a little bit to get some paperwork. I'll snap a couple pics. What kind of cab is that on yours? Did it seal up good?

9. Mark Oomkes

Pretty sure it's a Curtis. Yours looks much better, almost OEM.

No, it didn't seal very good and the noise level is probably my biggest complaint.

10. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Yeah I had looked at many different cabs. I right away steered away from curtis just because of the lack of glass. I thought it looked like the visibility wouldn't be as good. The cozy cab was my next choice. I liked the looks of it and the other big thing was location. They are built right in Minnesota so when it comes to parts...or broken glass...its really fast to get parts. The other choices were tehtite or lauren. Both of those cabs look really nice but they come with a price tag. The tehtite isnt much more than the cozy was but they were about 2 months out to getting one shipped and cozy could have one to my dealer in 3 days. The lauren cab looked really nice and even had a option of AC but I didn't even price it out cause I didn't want to know. lol Here are a couple pics of the insulation I added. I know its not pretty cause I'm not a upholstery guy. Hard to figure out the angles and the folds that need to be made. I used half inch thick tractor cab insulation around the steering column. I didn't want to spray the glue on the plastic of the tractor so I got some industrial Velcro and used that in a couple places to hold it. I wish I was better at this kind of stuff and could have folded the edges and made a cleaner look but it will have to due. I used 1" thick for under the seat and beside that seat. I actually removed the seat to make the metal plate to seal everything up so then I just put the insulation down before i bolted the seat back on. I then made a removable piece for the hole in the plate to get to the hydraulic fill hole. I would have used that around the steering column as well but wanted something that didn't stick out as thick so I went with he thinner. I just went with some foam blocks to stick behind the firewall in with all the throttle linkage and parking break linkage. It made a huge difference in the noise level. I will probably add some more as time goes on but for now it works. Here a few photos. Like I said...I wish I could have done a cleaner job with the edges of the insulation but I'm not good at that kind of thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what I stuffed in the firewall area.
    [​IMG]

11. Mark Oomkes

Awesome, thanks for the pics!

Probably won't be doing it this year, but we will definitely work on it for next season.

Gotta admit, I'm a little torqued (and a lot jealous), the Cozy Cab is way nicer than the Curtis. Unfortunately, the dealer "recommended" the Curtis. I would have paid extra for the Cozy if necessary.

I also like the looks of the Erskine blower. I should have done more investigating, but the deal they had going was the tractor plus 2 implements. So a Deere blower it was.

12. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Yeah my dealer wanted to sell me a curtis as well but I told them I didn't want that one. At first they said I would have to buy the cab myself but then they did end up including it in the 0%. I'm really surprised that john deere dosent have their own cab for the 1 series. They have their own for the x700s. I took the loader and the 60 mower for my 2 attachments. I wasent going to do the loader but I thought it would be nice for doing little things around the house in the sunmer. I hate driving across the yard with a skidsteer (which I always do). The Erskine blower is nice. It did take some doing to convert it though. Due to it being set up for a front mount style mower machine it had a direction change reducer gear box on it. Once I removed the gear box I had to figure out a bearing and two differnt size sprockets and a chain to reduce the speed. It was running about 2000 rpm at idle. I ended up getting most of the stuff from deere and set it up just like the deere as fat as the sprockets go. Then I had to build the jd quick attach on it which was pretty simple. I enjoy doing these kinds of things if time permits. Lol I just wish I could have a chance to use the thing now.

13. Mark Oomkes

Great, now I'm pissed at myself for not doing more checking. lol

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That does look like a nice little tractor. I love my 3 series tractors but I have one site where it's a little big and was thinking about getting a 1 or 2 series. I'm wondering how big of a drop salter you can run on a 1 series?

15. Mark Oomkes

What kind of spreader are you looking at?

3 point on these are rated at 308kg. (Metric just for you Dave) 681# for us.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd rather run a 11.5 cubic ft spreader but with 681 lbs I'm thinking that the 6.5 cu ft would be all I could put on it. The property has a dedicated tractor on it and because the 3320 is so large the operator has to do a lot of hand shoveling and salting. So even with the smaller salter he should be able to finish faster even with the extra refilling time with the smaller salter. This sidewalk guy is an amazing worker as the site should have a minimum of 2 maybe 3 guys on site but this guys a machine and I really don't want him to quit so I'd like to make his life a little easier since he does it all by himself.

17. Mark Oomkes

Hydraulic or electric? What manufacturer?

I don't have a rear remote on mine, but wonder if I could add one. That might be cheaper than the SnowEx or Ventrac drop spreaders.

I stuck with 1 Series just to keep size down and maneuverability up. I was tempted with the 2, but was a little concerned. I'm thinking aboot adding another for next year, in a box truck. Or adding a box truck that can haul this one around.

18. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Would it be reasonable to put one of those in a town home unit that has 54 drives and expect it to get done in reasonable time. Average snow here is 2-4". Don't have to push the street just the sidewalks and drives.

Takes a truck just over 2 hours and usually end up pushing most of the street because we back drag snow into it and takes a guy shoveling 1.5 hours usually.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hydraulic is the only drop spreader I will buy. If I cant get hydraulic outlets on the 1 series then I wouldn't even thing about buying one. http://www.baumanmfg.com/640.htm This spreader would be about $2500 USD

20. Mark Oomkes

It doesn't look like you can get a rear remote on a 1 Series. It does appear you can on a 2, not sure if you can run that and the front though.