1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

john allin blizzard of "77"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slingshot, Dec 10, 2000.

1. slingshot

slingshot Junior Member

John i saw on the history chanel 'the wrath of god buffalo blizzard of 1977 did you get to plow in this and what was it like. i know you are from erie but close enough. it looked like the whole city was a mess

2. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Two years ago, we had a really bad storm, I'm in Rochester NY, 1 hour east of Buffalo. We got somthing like 44 inches of snow in a 48 hour period, and it was heavy wet stuff. It was not a fun time I didn't sleep for a long time, blew one transmission in that storm, and one front axle joint. I wouldn't wish a storm like that on anyone. I just remebe pulling into a secondary parking lot, looking at the snow, it was as high as my 8' Fisher's moldboard(29"), I just turned around and called the customer, told them we needed a loader, they OK'D it. Again not a fun position, I would not wish a storm like that on anyone, ever.

3. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

As a younger snow nut in 1977, I remember I had a Toronto Star paper route with about 40 stops. I hounded my Dad to drive me around on my route so we could all be home in time for the 6:00 o'clock news to see the latest effort on the cleanup. It seemed to go on for weeks. What fun.

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

That was my first winter plowing snow. Had 23 residential and one commercial account. Didn't really phase me as a "bad" winter since I was working all alone in a brand new Bronco and didn't have many accounts - so it wasn't all that bad.

We've been through some larger storms since then, and while it was tiring - we got through them. Had a 42" storm and a 55" storm in years after that. Like I said, tiring but we got through them.

Can't say as there is any one storm that sticks in my mind.