1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Joe homeowner stuck in end of drive... Happen to you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JDiepstra, Dec 23, 2008.

1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Is it just me or does this happen to you guys a lot too? You get a call from somebody who got your number from one of your customers or whatever and they want a one time plow. OK no big deal since they are usually right near the route anyway. $35 for 10 minutes work tops. Not bad... So you get there and it seems like every time these yahoo's are stuck in the end of their driveway!!!!!! :realmad: Morons!!!!!!! :gunsfiring: OK, I just had to rant.
  2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i had a few where they were stuck at the bottom of the drive right where the pile needed to go
    and i saw a few on my route for the town where they were stuck in the end
    very annoying
  3. m2low

m2low Member

thats where you get a tow rope, yank them out of the drive that you need to plow, and charge them a $40 service fee for vehicle removal.... just my 2 cents... kinda goes with the old saying, if you didnt try to get out, then its a clean drive and easy to work, if you are stuck in the middle of where I need to work thats an extra fee for stupidity... unless its around the holidays and you feel like a nice guy and have time to yank em out quick.

I actually had a dodge dakota 4 door that was parked when it started snowing and drifting, the truck was looking more like a 2 door when I showed up the whole back end was drifted under... he didnt try to move the truck so I did not have the heart to chaarge to yank him out, but it was a tough pull with the bed full in the drift... made less to remove later though :)
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a caution on charging for pulling them out: If you charge, you are holding yourself out as a professional recovery operator and are potentially liable for any damage to their vehicle, property or person.

Just today's news has an article about a "Good Samaritan" getting sued.
  5. m2low

m2low Member

wow, got sued for pulling someone out? why can't people just do good deeds anymore?
  6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh i was just thinkin that. you have to be careful these days, even if your just trying to be a good guy
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah thats happened to me before. I have pulled them out many of times. But I always tell people I am NOT responsible for your car...I am not a tow truck. I will pull you out on the spot for half the price of a tow, or you can wait an hour and pay twice as much...then find someone else to plow because I will probably be in another area by then.

RODHALL Senior Member

I think anyone stuck you should stand there with your hands in your pockets and let a professional take care of getting him unstuck....

I'll glady pull anyone out of dam near anywhere. BUT i have service repair towing tags on both plow trucks. see you need the same insurance for service / repair as you do plowing, but no service tag no coverage, for towing recovery.

Where is the video of the idiot pulling the Honda out of the snow when you need it?
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I wont pull people out either. Too bog of a risk to them and to me. I will plow once the car is moved.
  10. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ta59lTkHBkM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ta59lTkHBkM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  11. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

first time seeing that. That's funny right there...
  12. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Yeah just like that CAR!!

I would never pull any one out in City of Omaha! yep had seen alot small cars getting stuck. in last year's snow storm..

NO fooling around in plow truck or you be stuck :eek:

25 years snow removal and know what not to do! :drinkup:

I hate it when some one ask for an push in front of the plow but it was an older car.
    told driver am not responsible any damage ! :gunsfiring:
  13. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

lol, there was nuff kids there to just lift the car and tos it to the side
  14. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

wow $100 to have a tow truck yank it out or $2k to the body shop! Yup saved some $$ their
  15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats a HONDA they have NO place to put a tow hook.
  16. ffplow

ffplow Junior Member

looks more like a geo storm (I think thats what its called), hondas have a small kook in the middle, not very usefull for tows though.

That video way great. I'll make sure not to ever give anyone a tow. LOL
  17. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I'll only hook on to a hitch on a vehicle that's stuck.....No hitch= no hook. I just towed a Subaru out that way today. Too much risk in damaging the other persons vehicle by hooking to unknown parts under the car. You go from being a great guy to "that jerk that damaged my car"....It's funny how 99% of them always forget that "that jerk" was only trying to help them after they made a dumb move.

Edit: And I never take $ for doing it.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  18. harlee79

harlee79 Junior Member
    from Kansas

that video is awesome....
  19. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always make the car owner hook to his own car. If they want out bad enough, thats the deal, if not wait for the tow truck. If they hook to the car themselves, it is their own liability, not mine. Then again I never charge to pull someone out either. That way they can't sue me.
  20. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

had a commercial account owner stuck yesterday plowed around his car, then helped him shovel right around tires without him even asking me too and after I was done plowing his entrance & parking lot he gave me two crisp $20's for 5minutes worth of "extra" work as a bonus since he normally pays me when I bill him. I will always help stuck people paying or not. Builds customer relations better than anything and those "one" time calls that I always sub out to people who have no work.

But, I would NEVER pull/push out a stuck vehicle, to much wear on my truck. A friend of mine pulled a chick out of snow (2000 cavalier) had no place to hitch to so they wraped tow strap around inside of rear tire, cost about $1500 in damages to her. Thats what towtrucks make money doing