1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Job site already plowed on arrival

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowmedic23, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Plowmedic23

Plowmedic23 Junior Member

Has this happened to anyone? Showed up to One of my lots this morning to find out it was already plowed... Huhhh?? Still did a quick pass because we had an extra inch this morning but what do you even tell the client?
  2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I had that happen....new management company took over a week before and never notified me they had a new contractor...frustrating because they knew it was being serviced.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Just bill it, don't understand the concern.

Some yahoo plowed the lot by mistake, it happens, or maybe you have been replaced..... Either way bill for the push.
  4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I have it written into my contracts that snow services are provided on an "auto response once trigger is reached," basis and therefore, it is the customer's responsibility to notify me if they do not wish to have services done. If they fail to notify within two hours of my arrival, they get charged a service fee in the amount equal to the per push amount for their account. I started this back when I started offering snow removal and was doing residential as well as commercial. It never failed that after fighting traffic to make it to a resi, some neighbor kid who was out of school for the day, was going through the neighborhood with shovel in hand and would beat me there. Got frustrating as hell, and I was wasting time (and money), so I implemented that clause. I don't have that issue with my commercial as they are on a route and get done like clockwork. No reason why you should have money taken out of your pocket because as others said, either some contractor can't read addresses or the customer was too stupid/lazy to call. JMO
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ether someone plowed the wrong lot or you have been fired. jmo

Good luck collecting for work you didn't do.
  6. Plowmedic23

Followed up with them. Just to cover my butt. Had no issues paying the full amount. I'm still exclusive. Sounds just like you said some yahoo can't read an address. Feel for the contractor when he realises not only it was the wrong lot but all the salt he wasted too ;-)
  7. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We had that happen to us just about a week ago when we got to plow. The manager of the store said they had the guy that did the next door lot plow it but it wasn't plowed which really confused us. They only plowed about half the lot so we did the other half. We are still going to bill it anyway.
    We are a sub contractor for the lot I'm talking about.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

to clarify before i get flamed.

You didn't get fired and someone else plowed the lot
    then yes, bill it, as its still your lot.
  9. Plowmedic23

Definitely. They were really nice about it and just paid me the full amount a few minutes ago already. win win for me. I can't really complain about this. ..... Maybe it will happen next storm too. Ha!
  10. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an account in a shopping center. The hired help for whoever does the shopping center has no idea when to stop apparently or there is a communication error. Either way this is the second season they've been doing my account for free. I just swing by to make sure it's done then bill my customer. Not my problem their bossman didn't clarify what to plow. To their credit...they do a good job, haha.
  11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I plowed the wrong lot one night, small 20 minute place, got about half way thru before I realized wtf I was doing - I think I was talking on the phone or something..... Couldn't leave it half done, finished up real nice for someone......

Yea, and to this day I have no idea how I did that, the place we plowed was two buildings over and the lots were way different.......
  12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My neighbor gets bored and plows the private road I am supposed to plow. He has 3 rentals on this road, so I don't say anything, but he does plow right past them and does the whole road. And I lose the $60. I can't expect my client, who is friends with me and the other guy, to pay me for a service I didn't provide. If I don't get there before 6 am, I lose.
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

why, just look at him as a volunteer sub-contractor.
    bill it out .
  14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Yep it has happen to me for 2 yrs but not on a lot
    Sidewalks this other company would do my walks. They would clean/salt them and I would get paid I let it go, funny part is I be plowing the lot when they are cleaning the walks.

Its a stripe mall I did part of the lot and clean last 2 stores walks
  15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Had something like this happen about 10 years ago with mowing. I was going out of the country on vacation for a few weeks and had a buddy cover my lawns. I told him which house and he gave me the "yeah yeah I know". Got back from vacation and got a call almost right away from the client wondering where I had been. I called my buddy and he said he had been doing it. Drove over to the clients house and sure as **** the neighbors house looked sweet. :dizzy:
  16. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Just hire him as a sub. If he beats you bill the 60 and give him half. He's already doing it for free, sure he wouldn't mind getting a few bucks and everyone gets paid.
  17. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

This happened to me 3 times this year as I replaced another contractor on a road. He had a driver that just kept doing it. I called immediately to let the customer know I didnt do it. I didnt want to get blamed if he damaged something.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'll never understand this question............
  19. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I was mad when the guy stacked the piles back on the lot that we don't have to plow but get paid for. I think he took out a barberry. Those are like $20
  20. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

I get the occasional mistake, but if I were the account you're supposed to be doing and I found out you've been free loading like that I would drop you in a second and look to see if I had recourse to get money back from you.

Playing with fire...
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015