1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jerky Meyer E-60 angle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Roddo, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Roddo

Roddo Junior Member

I have a Meyers 7.5 blade with a E-60 pump that is less than 2 year old. When angling left it starts and stops smoothly. If I angle right as soon as I leave go of the control it stops instantly with a loud bang. I’m not talking at the end of its travel but anywhere along its travel. If you just angle it 1 inch to the right and stop it bangs. If I bump it to angle right every small movement bangs hard. It’s been doing this since new. Last winter didn’t have many plowable events so didn’t get it checked out.
    I took it back to the dealer ( who has been great over the years). The mechanic (after checking a manual) thought their might be a problem in a solenoid. Which he replaced but it made no difference. After trying a few other things he was stumped. The owner then came out and said there is no problem and this is how Meyers work.
    It seems strange that it work so well left and up and down but not to the right. If this is normal I’ll live with it. But the warranty is just about up. Is there a problem about to happen? Is there a fix.
    Any help greatly appreciated
  2. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member

I have the same problem with my e60 just took it to the dealer yesterday, never really noticed before but they said it was normal for them to pop or bang when angling to the right because you are closing the valve as well as the motor shutting off, (was thier explanation). I have had my pump also for two years and already (last season) had to replace the motor (couldn't figure out why I kept blowing my alternators out) motor was drawing way to many amps just raising it up or side to side. I have asked the same question on here under plow pops when angled. No replies yet as to if anyone else is having the same proplem.
    I hope this helped, I am going to check at the meyer home site and see if I can find anything.
  3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Mine is also 2 years old and has done the same exact thing since it was new. Had mine to the dealer a month ago, related to a repair of my own fault. I also had them check this "bang" noise at full right angle out and left everybody just scratching their heads. It only happens on mine when I go full right. The plow has worked fine since I have own it and this is just a noise that I have learned to live with. If you guys get this one worked out please re-post. I would be very interested as to what or why it is.

4. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Check your crossover relief valve, it may need to be adjusted or replaced.
  5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I was told by my dealer that the bang when angleing to the right is the same on all electric because the plow is running on 2500 lbs. pressure.

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'd go after the dealer a little bit more. It sounds like they just may be trying to get out of a warranty job. I've have an E-60 for a couple years, and it has none of the noises/bangs etc that you've described. I'm sure it isn't supposed to do that.
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

It's the nature of the beast!!!! All E-60's I have seen do this. You will have to live with it. It wont do it when angleing left because the Meyers units use no valves to control the left angle.:) :) ;) :) ED
  8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I never took notice of this till you guys mentioned it, but my E-47 does the same thing. I dont know if id call it a bang but it does stop abruptly. Didnt get to drive the E-60 but Id have to guess its just SOP. I have the pumps interenally serviced every two years and thats just the way it is.

9. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

Mine does the same thing!
    I'd love to know if it can be fixed.
    Keep us posted.
  10. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member

I emailed Meyers service/warrenty, will post if & when they get back with me.
  11. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

So did I, last night. I got a responce that they got my email and said somebody will be getting ack to me the beginning of the week.

I will let you guys know what developes.

12. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Pressue Set Too High

Had the exact same noise with my new E-60. Dealer said that Meyer sets the pressure too high at the factory trying to make it move quicker. He lowered the pressure to 1500 lbs and it works fine now.

Hope you have better luck contacting Meyer directly than I ever have.
  13. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 Member

Meyer returned anwser

For all that is having the problem with the E60 banging or popping when angling to the right!!!
    A service representative (Lou Orazem) called today and explained the (so called problem, not really a problem).
    I will try to explain it the best I can in his words.
    First question he asked is if I used toggle (switches or slick stick), or the touch pad? I use the switches. That is the cause! The reason;
    When you buy the whole assembly with the E60 it comes with the touch pad to eliminate this, by the use of timers in the touch pad. The way the system works is when you angle to the left just the motor runs,(you will notice the drift after letting off the switch, due to the motor runs a couple of seconds after letting off the switch. When you angle to the right you are using the motor and the coil, when you let off the switch the coil shuts off instantly and the motor still runs for a couple of seconds, which in turn trys to angle the plow to the left, which creates the bang or pop. The timmers in the touch pad eliminates this by a delay in shutting off the coil for a couple of seconds so the motor and coil shut off together. He said it doesn't hurt anything.
    Lou also said that they had some E60 models go out of the factory with the drain hole in the wrong position or still plugged with a rubber plug from the paint proccess. Didn't specify how long ago, but I bought mine two seasons ago and have a light dimming problem, so he told me to check for the drain hole position (should be at 6:00 W/ no plug) can cause motor to go bad. (like mine in 8 months)
    Hope this solves the mystery for everyone?
  14. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I have the touch pad and I still have the problem. Lou also called me but I was out. Will try yo contact and let you know what words of wisdom he has for me.

15. Roddo

Roddo Junior Member

Rockcrusher didn't like the looks of touch pad. Too many hours with switches had them installed. Smo guess its my own fault.
  16. gmc1500

gmc1500 Junior Member
    from 06410

I have the same problem but i think it is because of the pivot bolt and the a-frame. My a-frame split where the pivot bolt goes also the hole for the bolt is elongated. I know a few people who have a 7.5' meyers mdII and the same thing happened. I wish Meyers made an upgrade to fix the problem.
  17. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Rockcrusher is correct, this was discussed in the Meyers Q&A on Friday.
    The thing is, it is only supposed to be a problem with the E-60 with slick stick or toggles, but some of us are experiencing it on our E-47s.
    I think rather than timers on a the touchpad, Meyer should do something to make the motor stop when you release the switch. Just like on some electric drills if you let go of the trigger they wind down, but on a dewalt, and now some others, it stops right away when you let off the trigger, this would eliminate the problem for the most part I imagine.

if that is your problem, then it would be both ways, not just right. So if it is only one direction, you are experiencing something cause by motor wind down like the rest of us.

crossover relief valve
    Does anyone know HOW to adjust this?
    I just popped the new one I got in as it was, it works, but I have no idea how or if I should adjust it.

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I stooped be the factory in Euclid and asked them why my e47 was doing this very thing and just what Rock said it is the nature of the beast. You may also noticed on the end of an lift you may find the plow angles to the rite just so ever slightly. That too is normal.

Grip truck:
    you have a good idea but sorry man i dont like it. That just is something else to break in this harsh environment. Ive learned to live with the quirks of my Meyer. When i plow for a buddy of mine in his truck i find myself missing my Meyer...Rob
  19. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

It's really a Meyer quirk... just more noticeable on E-60s because of the larger motor and pump. Meyer reps state the new E-57 acts the same as the E-60. The E-57 is just an E-47 with a bigger pump and a E-60 motor on it....Chuck

POWERBAND Member

Meyer controller problem

This situation with the Slickstick and dual-switch controller E57 and E60's banging and moving left on lift has been appearing in posts more and more frequently probably as repeat Meyer customers replace older equipment.
    It was a central topic in the "READ ME-LIVE Q&A with Meyer and Diamond discussion last Friday and you can see what was the response . The discussion is at the top of the Threads in the forum.
    Basically the only answer at this time is the use of the Touchpad controller which many repeat Meyer customers (as in this thread) do not prefer.
    Thanks - PB:cool: