1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jerk wants me to reduce his bill

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by birddseedd, Apr 8, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

So one of my lots called me today, he is asking me to drop his price from 150 to 100 for the last 3 months. He owes me 2250 for the last 3 months. Down to 1500.

Its a strip mall type place, his claim is that it just cost more than what he made. A couple of his units were not open, due to construction and new tenants.

We did have a record year for snow.

he is willing to sign up for this year. Wife says I should meet him in the middle and do 125.

dropping from 150 to 100 would be 100 an hour down to 66 an hour.
    dropping from 150 to 125 would be 100 an hour down to 83 an hour.

maybe i can do it if he will sign a 2 year contract.

what do you guys think?

keeping in mind, i am desperate for the work still. and need money asap. in fact, i need to gain 20 more lawns soon.

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Does the contract say if he doesn't make money then you need to reduce your price? Never really seen a service contract like that.

Anyways he paid the first couple months at full rate so he thought it was fair then. Why isn't it fair now?

If you really need work tell him you would take a payment plan for xyz months if he signs up for the next 2 yrs.

Could set him up for a 12 month payment contract where he pays all year if cash flow is his issue.

Otherwise getting work that isn't going to pay isn't work a person needs.

3. birddseedd

i did try to offer a payment plan. his argument was that it was not his ability to pay, it was that if he pays it, will be paying more than he made

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Just because he's a bad business man ,isn't your problem

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If someone can get his suppliers thinking about dropping their price by 1/3 after their service has been rendered I wouldn't call him a bad business man. I would hire him...:rolleyes:

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Only drop what you are charging for this season,
    if he signs back to for next year at your price not his price.

BUT////

His story, hardship or lack of filling his business is not your responsibility, why should you have to pay for the lack of tenants?.

Did your operating costs go down?
    Why should you be the one to save his strip mall..

If the guy owns a strip mall he's probably a millionaire or close to it, he can afford it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

There's a book you should read but I can't remember the name of it

Basically no matter how broke you are don't let people know and have the confidence like you have a million in the bank

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

No way...it isn't your fault that he can't pay his bills...

You earned your money. Get all of it!

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I wouldn't consider it. In fact if you do lower the price just to get paid what stops him from doing it next year bringing it down again because he knows you are desperate. I am sure he is trying to recoup after a hard winter but hes waiting until now to try and change it? its easy to forget how much work you put into plowing and the maintenance and how tired you are when youre doing it. next year when the units are full and hes making money is he is going to pay you more?

10. birddseedd

What if I lock him into a 5 year contract

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

He won't

Those kind of people won't do seasonal contracts.

12. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

What good is a five year contact off he can't pay for one season?

13. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Why bend over backwards for him? Get your money and walk... I don't care how hard up for work you are, this isn't the kind of customer you want to hold on too.

Frankly if the guy owns a strip mall and $1500 is going to hurt him, he probably won't be around by the end of a 5 year contract. He's either lying to you or he's going under.

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Not a chance. And I sure wouldn't want him for a customer next year. Not every customer is a good one. If you think you can afford to give it away why charge that amount in the first place. Terrible decision to stick with him or offer a longer contract. Unless he agrees to pay in full move on.

15. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you lock him into anything???.....He is not willing to pay your price now...:eek:

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

you agreed on a price with him....tell him to pay it, if you need money why would you give him $1000? info like that will get around and everyone will want a break after the fact from you

17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Services rendered. Payment due. Small claims court is right down the street.

18. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Don't don't don't do it. If you let him push you around now he will do it forever. You did the work, he agreed to the price by paying your bills. Did you personally make it snow this much this year???? If you did, we need to talk.

I would agree to letting him pay off the full amount with a contract for future work at full price.

Stand your ground. Or forever run. Stand

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you try this with people you have your vehicle loan thru. Tell them you are not making enough to pay what you agreed to pay and want to pay less. If it all possible get a recording of their laughter.

Would this be the same place some jerk backed into a flag pole?:laughing:

20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why does the scene from Good Fellas seem to fit here? "Oh didn't make enough money this week? &$#@ you, pay me"!