1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jefferson Cnty Colorado BURIED

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Mar 22, 2003.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Jeffco frustrated with state response to snow emergency
    03.22.03 @ 05:48 AM MST
    Jefferson County called for help Friday to reach 50,000 to 70,000 stranded residents - and found there isn't any help to be had.

The county has yet to clear 400 to 500 miles of mountain roads still plugged with 4 to 11 feet of snow, county spokesman John Masson said.

Plows are proving useless at shoving tons of concrete-like wet snow up steep grades. Without help, "it could take six more days to get some of these roads cleared," Masson said.

So county commissioners declared a state of emergency Friday and appealed to Gov. Bill Owens for additional equipment and crews.

"I don't know anybody who has any additional equipment," said governor's spokesman Dan Hopkins. Every agency is running every piece of equipment 24 hours a day trying to clear masses of snow before new storms hit next week, he said.

Told of the state response, Masson replied, "That's not good."

I went down with the "Battle wagon" :D (Excursion 4Xchains, Blizzard 810, 20' trailer, Case 1845 C, two 600 touring snomobiles, 72" Erskine blower, Pair of snow shoes and and shovel)

Guess which items I used most:( 6' -7' of snow, 17% grade dirt road, cars abandoned EVERYWHERE, main roads only one lane wide. No power, phone, water, or cable. MILES of unplowed roads, snow mobile USELESS in cement. Shuttled in gas, kerosone, diapers, food and liquor for my friend and his neighbors.

2 more storms on the way this week. 6 wheel graders chained up all 6 and V plows where useless! County was figureing 5 hours PER mile to clear with D9 cat dozers!

Roofs collasping, decks on the ground, grocery stores out of food.

Very serious situation that is not getting much attention because Denver is melting so quick!

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Howard,I sent out an APB on ya the other night and you didn't respond,was wonderin what the hexx happened to ya!

Reading the beginning of your post i wondered if you went out and tried the blower,any luck?The sad part is i saw on the news that Colorado will still be in severe drought mode even after the snow melts,bad situation out there,good luck!

PS-just picked up a Bobcat skidsteer out here near Kingston NY,dirt cheap,guy said he swiped it off some sucker in Colorado:D ,Just kiddin buddy,how ya makin out with that?
  3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

The only thing that worked well was a shovel and the snowshoes:mad:

Did you write a bad check I hope for that skidsteer:D ??