1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeeps...I'll run circles around anything full size

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by ppandr, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Of all our Jeeps, my favorire is a 90 YJ, 165,000 miles, 4 cyl, 5 sp, all stock. BFG tires and 6.5 fisher plow. I have plowed with everything, owned several Ford and Dodge diesels, dumps, etc. There is nothing that can move as much snow as quickly and efficiently for drives as a JEEP. My fisher has the optional blade extension and there have been many times when the snow has been so deep it comes right over the top of the blade. I have never gotten stuck and pulled plently of other makes out. Our snow business is 80 drives and two large commercial lots. Most drives are 100-200 long and surely not flat. We mount our joysticks right on the gear shift for quick operation. An 8' blade might push more snow in one pass....but I can run two to his one.

I'll get off my soap box now.......

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i'd like to see how you mount to the stick. I'm looking to mount my fisher joystick the same way in my Toyota

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the 4.0 straight 6 and the inline 4 have a lot of low end tourgue

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If you can pull it out with a 4 cyl YJ, then it wasn't very stuck. And how can you make two passes to one for an 8 footer?

5. starc

starc Senior Member

You need an old jeep, my brother had a older CJ5 with the big long stroke 304 v8 international gas engine. Talk about a strong little machine....Same motor international put in there 70's 1 tons

6. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

2 passes to one.......On a 10' wide drive, with a full size pickup it will take you longer to back out or jockey around and push again than a jeep driving in turning and plowing back out. Trust me I had full size trucks prior to Jeeps and I love Ford PSD's. It does not matter whether it's a four or a six, have them both. And as for the pulling out, my daily driver until last winter was a F-350 PSD 4x4, with utility box, weighing 7500lbs. Over dry/wet pavement you are right, will pull anything out. But on hardpacked wet snow, what we get alot of here, that truck was worthless until you got down to bare pavement.

7. Detroitdan

I pulled a Buick of a snowbank with my 81 Chevy K20, after watching an F150 fail. Very slick packing wet snow covered road. My truck was heavier and lower geared, he just spun his tires, I rolled back nice and easy and had no trouble. If an F150 couldn't do it, a Jeep wouldn't have. I pulled a twin screw Freightliner tractor off a snowbank/stonewall with the same truck, I was on wet pavement and never spun a tire. Both his rear axles were over the stone wall, front tires were almost on the road. Also pulled out a International 4900 26 foot flatbed stuck on a snowy lawn. My neighbors F250 4x4 5.8 couldn't budge it because he had street tires, no locker and a plow on the front with no ballast in the rear. That was on snow, ice and grass. My 3500 dually pulled out a 4700 medium duty wrecker that got stuck on an icy hilly driveway trying to rescue a smaller towtruck that got stuck trying to save a cruiser. You need weight, traction and torque to pull out a larger vehicle. If you have no weight you'll get no traction, so torque won't matter.

8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I agree, power with no way to hook it up is worthless.

9. Detroitdan

and I meant to add, you got me with the two passes thing. I didn't think of the up and back strategy. Although I can back up pretty darn fast ;-)

10. PLOWMAN45

I can take a jeep and chains on all 4 tires and pull anything out

11. Detroitdan

really? How so?

12. PLOWMAN45

because metal grips the road better then rubber

13. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I think I need to somewhere with more snow so I have less time to sit here and type in December.

It's all good......

14. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok guys been looking for this pic for awhile and found it, this was my first plow rig. The story around the jeep was great but the fact's are 13 leaf springs v-360 like driving a rocket but one kick-ass plow rig it was last in Denver but I do miss it ......

jeep (Medium).jpg

15. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Nice........

Even more impressive if you plowed topless.....

16. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

That cj was a beast but only got 2 jeeps left 42mb-and 55-m38a1:(

17. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

I'm sure a jeep is great to maneuver around in and to get in tight places but will it run long enough to finish your list. Jeeps are the most un reliable vehicles I have ever owned

18. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I challenge you to come out here with your JEEP and prove it. I will sit at the driveway entrance and watch you and be there to pull you out. :D I will also time you and then go to another similar or bigger driveway and show you how it is done. :gunsfiring: :drinkup:

19. PLOWMAN45

mine always started never had a problem

20. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Actually, the three Jeeps we are plowing with this year have a combined total of over 435,000 miles on them. I have never had a break down yet, whether plowing or driving (knock on wood). Granted we did not put those miles on them, but we are running them at the end of the thier lives. My past two Ford PSD had numerous problems and finally got rid of the last one this spring. Both of which I owned from new.

Wyoming...love to come out, bit far to drive though.

Good Luck for the season.....