1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeeps and plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Landmark, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Landmark

Landmark Junior Member

I've searched some but didn't really find what I wanted. I really like the idea of adding a jeep to my fleet mainly for the residential drives I do. I would also use this vehicle for personal use. Kind of getting tired of driving trucks all the time. Anyhow just want to know what is the ideal setup for a jeep with a plow? What kind of jeep and what plow. If anyone has pictures of a setup like this I would really appreciate it. I don't know if anyone remembers this or not, but I recall seeing a picture of a fleet of plow vehicles being all jeeps.
  2. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

2004jeep unlimited auto w/dana 44 rear axle

morebliz05 001.jpg
  3. SnowyPennsylvan

SnowyPennsylvan Junior Member

Very nice...

What are the specs on the plow?
  4. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

meyer 2meter w/ E47 just needs pro wings even though you are not supposed to use them on a 2meter. I use it on residential and it kicks but. I also use it on two large storage facilities and there it is not so good, long pushes and thats why I need the wings. but to add this to a group of plow equipment would be a great addition. with the small plow and 300pounds in the back it really handles well. with chains it is like a tank!
  5. Landmark

Landmark Junior Member

I appreciate the response. That is indeed a nice looking setup. Pretty much what I am looking for. It would be a nice addition to the truck that I already have.
  6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Here in eastern PA the City of Bethlehem uses Wranglers with 6 1/2 foot Western LD's to do park sidewalks and other tight places and they work well for that purpose. If it were me I'd up to the 6 1/2 foot Western standard duty cause of the heavier weight for better scraping and taller moldboard height. Downside is it's about 150 pounds heavier than the 2 meter Meyer or the Western light dutys so you have to treat the Jeep sensibly.
  7. smiti105

smiti105 Member

I have an older CJ7 that has six and a half footer on it. What I would strongly suggest is Timbrens for any Jeep. It really helps out the front end with all the weight of the plow. It is great for residential drives because of the size and I did not come close to getting stuck in the lower gears. Seen some really nice TJ's on here though. Do some searches and you will come up with alot of info on Jeeps.
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a CJ2 with small block chevy in it.Posi axles front and rear. It has a Meyer ST 7 on it with Pro Wings. E 60 pump. I have had this plow for 10 years now. Never had a single break down with the plow.Now its used only on an apartment complex that we plow. The jeeps are great for the tight areas, really saves us alot of time.I have 500 pounds of sand bags in the back.
  9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

For driveways and small lots I'd say the CJ and TJ series are best due to the short wheelbase. Heck, I've plowed driveways doing a 360 sometimes with mine. I can't speak for the cherokee series, but Timbrens suck on the TJ's. I tried them. Much too harsh a ride. I yanked those and we put in Air Lift air bags in the front coils and now it rides great with no front sag. 300 to 400lbs of sandbags in the back helps a lot too.
    1997 TJ Sport, 5spd, Meyer 2 meter w E-47.

10. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Hey jpunlimited

does unlimited give any more front room or is it just added for the rear passengers?
  11. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Unfortunately, all the extra length in an Unlimited is behind the front seats. I work at a dealer and checked.

There is hope for us tall folks, though. Big Boy Brackets