1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Wrangler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Top, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Top

Top Junior Member

I'm new member
    I am looking to replace my 91 Wrangler YJ with a Myers Plow setup with a newer Jeep Wrangler and Plow setup.

What year did the Jeep Wagner go away from a solid frame? I want to keep the solid solid for the propose of Plowing. Does anybody have any idea's that would be helpfully in making my decision.

The particulars that I am looking for in this replacement are;
    I am not look for used Jeep Wrangler that has never had a plow

Thank for your help in advance
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

ALL Jeep wranglers have frames

How much you want to spend?

"I am not look for used Jeep Wrangler that has never had a plow "

what are you looking for?
  3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

The earlier TJ's have more plow size options then the later TJ's. You will see this when you E match the plow Co's websites.

The 2dr JK's are made to take larger plows then the TJ's. 4 dr JK's are rated to take smaller plows.
  4. Top

Top Junior Member

Thanks for the reply

I have 91 Jeep Wrangler with a Meyers Plow a Meyers plow on it. I need to replace the vehicle because its starting to nickle dime me to death. Its been very reliable for the type of plowing I'm doing, driveways and small parking lots.
    So I am looking for the versatility of the jeep. So I'm looking to see if there is another vehicle with a plow setup that would be better than Jeep or should I stay with the Jeep setup.

If I replace the Jeep for another Jeep I'm not going to by a band new one is there any year Wrangle that I should stay away from. What other vehicles should I consider.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For driveways you cant beet a Wrangler. except with a tractor with an inverted blower.

I too have been looking at newer Jeeps

I have plowed with YJs and TJs

your YJ 91 - 95 has the most torque of idle, then the TJs (97 -06) the first V6 had the worst low end torque (07 - 14) and reduces visibility out the back. the newest Wrangler has a lot more HP but HP to move snow you need low end grunt, and the new ones are better. the new ones are also the worst for visibility backing up. that means slower backing up and with driveways we do a lot of backing up.
  6. Top

Top Junior Member

Wow this is the type of information I was looking low end torque and the differences in the model through the years, great info!

I to agree that the Wrangler is great for driveways I've used CJ5's and a CJ7 all worked great.

Thank you all for this information and I'm sure there more coming in.

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

There aren't many options for "smaller" vehicles, with a frame, that can handle a plow.

Toyota Tacoma. Presuming that you're aiming for "smaller" vehicles, but you'd be looking at a considerably higher price. However, it would save you a bundle on FUEL, regardless of the engine. FWIW: Even the 4-cyl Tacoma does a really excellent job of plowing, its WAY ahead of any of the 4-cyl engines from when your '91 was new, and reality is that it will seriously outperform a '91 YJ 6-cyl. I also have a '91 YJ 6-cyl, and I would classify it as a "real turd". Can hardly hold 80 kph in 3rd gear pulling my boat around the lake. 4-cyl Tacoma can hardly tell the boat is even there.
  8. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

I am very happy with the plowing performance of my TJ (6 cyl/manual trans). I could not imagine going back to a pickup to do driveways after using a Jeep. You just cannot beat the visibility and maneuverability.
  9. Top

Top Junior Member

Thanks for the reply I've been real happy with my Jeep YJ and I have really set my sites on replacing her with new Jeep such as TY. By the way I had a CJ 5 and CJ 7 both manuals Transmissions. My YJ is an automatic and its been running fine saves on the constant shifting!