1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

jeep wrangler plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnnyusa, Dec 17, 2015.

1. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

I have a 98 6cyl auto wrangler and am stuck on my decision for a plow my choice is either a snoway 22r or a blizzard 680lt Anyone have experience with either of these two or preference which one is better?

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

if its down to only the blizzard or sno-way then it looks like your getting a sno-way as blizzard is no longer being made.

3. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Blizzard is now SnowEx, not much change. Go with Sno Way, the down pressure is excellent on a light truck and plow. Without, it rides up back dragging and has little weight to hold blade down while pushing.

4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have an 2005 TJ Unlimited, 6 cyl, 6 sp, limit slip rear.

I have been plow shopping. People have said do not get shorter then a 7'6" plow for your wheels will run over snow when you make a turn with the plow angled.

I found that you can only get a 7'6" plow if you get poly. Western has a 7'4" 21" poly. I do not like the thought of things being made of plastic and my luck I will hit something and put a hole in it. They are very light and makes me feel that will not make them back drag well.

Boss has a 7' HTX in poly, steel, or stainless steel. Their efit shows 1997 wranglers to 2003 then 2007 on again. Which leaves out my 2005.

The closest dealer to me will only sell me a Meyer 6' 8" steel plow, 375 lb. He does not recommend the Western Suburbanite poly for my Jeep.

I am going to the next closet dealer he sells Boss and see if he will ignore the efit and put on the HTX stainless steel 393 lb. Only 18 lbs more.

5. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

Blizzard dealer told me that anything longer than 6'8" is too much for plow and sticks out too far and makes turning in tight spots a problem in fact he said hes only sold two 7'2" plows for jeeps and 17 6'8 s and one guy with 7'2" wanted to trade bigger plow for the 6'8" plow

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I had a 7ft somthing snow way on my jeep YJ with the 4.0
    I had no problems in tight areas becuse of the plows width.
    Maneuverability comes from the short wheel base.

As for DP the weight of the jeep or any vehicel has no bearing on down pressure.

Would it be a deal breaker if it didn't have DP, no.
    But at times it was nice to have..

As for salesmen,
    If you were looking for a 2500 would you buy a 1500 becuse tha salesman sayes he sells more 1500's?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  7. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

If Maneuverability comes from short wheel base then throw a 10 footer on there see how maneuverable you are in a tight area plus in a real wet 8 inch storm the smaller blade will out push the longer one and wont get stuck

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Don't listen to this guy.

Either plow would be fine. The 720LT is taller than the 680LT so keep that in mind.

There are many 680/720LT Blizzard plows still available from existing dealer inventory. The price on the Blizzard should be right. We have many happy customers with the small Blizzards. The little Sno-Ways were good too but we had more problems with them.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

by that reasoning a 2 ft plow will be more maneuverable so you can plow faster and make more $$ Taking the width to an extreme does not prove a point.

you might have a point. But why are you plowing 8" and how often do you plow 8" of very wet snow VS efficiency of having a plow that is wider than the tires. just angle the 6'8" plow and plow snow you will findthe tires are in the snowbank then turn and see how much you get stuck with your rear tires in the snow bank.

I plow for $ if a 7 1/2 plow means I can plow 3 more drives in the same time, thats more $ in my pocket every storm.

10. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I do not doubt when you say that on a tight turn my tires will be on the snow and I risk getting stuck. We are not making money when we a stuck.

Having not plowed my concern is how much harder will be for me to push show for a long run with a 7.5' plow then a 6'8" plow, or when the snow is wet and heavy when using my 2005 Jeep TJ? Can the Jeep handle it and not be breaking down?

I will admit that I would like to get a 1/2 ton pickup for my landscape business and I can move that 7.5' over or put it on my son's Colorado when I replace my Jeep.

Where I live no one will put on a plow that is not on the manufacturers fit list for legal reasons.

Snow Dogg is the only one that says my Jeep can have a MD 7.5' or MD 8' plow.

I can afford to buy a plow. What I can not afford is to regret the plow I bought this year because I will have to keep it for some time. I can only go by what the salesman says, and the experienced people on Plowsite.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Hers is the ting, the little added width isn't putting much strain on your rig.

How much strain does getting unstuck put on a rig.
    How much time will you loose while stuck?
    How much extra time will it take to scrape up the snow you packed down driving in the windrow because that 8" if snow is not going to be rolling off of the blade. Its going to fall back to where you just plowed.

Here is a tip, if it is snowing and it's the heavy wet kind you dont wait for 8" to be on the ground.
    Then set up your accounts with a 2" trigger and you will only be plowing 2"-3" at a time.

Few push 8" of heavy wet snow with the blade set straight. Even with a 6'ft plow. tIn a short distance he snow will weight more than the jeep. so then we will need to swing it to the side, now with a 6'plow your stuck in the windrow,
    Hows the maneuverability now?

If your going to be in the business of plowing.
    you should install the plow yourself.
    this will give you a understanding on how it works.
    you will be able to trouble shoot and fix it on the go.
    it's really not that hard to install and I'm sure if you have a problem someone from here will help you.

To the guy trying to make a point using a 10ft.
    why not a 20ft? becuse a 7.whatever" can be found for his rig. & it's the correct size.

12. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

everyone has their opinions but in my case I've been plowing for over 20 years and I'm parking lots and commercial buildings we can use a payloader and I also have blizzard wing plows but for residentials i'm going to use the plow on my jeep that fits the best and I believe it's the six-foot 8 inch plow plow

13. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

everyone has their opinions but in my case I've been plowing for over 20 years and In parking lots and commercial buildings we can use a payloader and I also have blizzard wing plows but for residentials i'm going to use the plow on my jeep that fits the best and I believe it's the six-foot 8 inch plow plow In fact I just talked with the guy who's been plowing with four jeeps for over 20 years and he agrees with those bigger plows that extra time which is very minimal you'll lose in repairs on the jeep

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

This forum has a JEEP specific thread, why not go there and ask if the jeep can handle a 7 1/5 or a 6 8 plow.
    ask people who use jeeps as apposed to a group where jeeps are a very small part of the people. I started with an F150 got a jeep as a backup... I got a 6'6" plow for the jeep I found the plow from the F150 fit on the Jeep. I used the jeep once... I sold the truck the next year. Been using Jeeps with 7 1/5 plows since then (1987)

Look at my sig on the bottom.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

yea non jeep owners know nothing.
    and what would a jeep owner be doing reading or posting here?:dizzy:

ether place, it's the same folks reading your post and the same folks responding to it.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

ok a pissing contest, Thumbs Up
    "In fact", I steeped out on my own in 1979 you do the math...
    tight resi drives made for a horse and buggy to large commercial lots.
    located in town and in the mountains of Colorado & New Mexico. to the hilly city of Duluth mn

You spoke with, in fact , I owned and plowed with a jeep for years and other types of vehicles also.
    Fact, any plow is going to add to maintenance.
    also your plowing style will make a difference in repair costs

I see you got the narrow plow, well good for you.
    a 7.5 is the smart choice.

If you can't afford repairs you not doing it right.
    I dont care what vehicle or plow you use there will be repairs.

so you have your opinion you gleamed from others
    I got mine from using a jeep.

have a good winter:waving:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  17. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

have a good winter also

18. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Their are a bunch of guys on this site with Jeeps that they use for plowing. Check out Ken643 site on youtube. He has some great videos on plowing with a Jeep.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAXv66Zy-1lY2-48Gc-TaPw