1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Wrangler for Small Plowing Jobs

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by maxcalvada, May 4, 2009.

1. maxcalvada

maxcalvada Junior Member

I live in an urban area with small, narrow driveways and made a little money this past winter doing a few driveways with my snowblower. I want to expand next year...goal is about 10 residential accounts...small driveways for the most part. Yes, this is just part-time income for the winter.

Our family auto mechanic said get a small vehicle if you're doing city driveways. He likes Ford Rangers & Jeep Wranglers(and I've always wanted a Wrangler). I also need it now for our small gardening and lawn care business...would also like to have it pull a small trailer with lawn mowing gear.

One used car dealer I talked to recommends a 6 cyl/automatic Wrangler for plowing. 2 problems with this, looking over Craigslist ads, etc. - there are very few 6 cyl and/or auto Wranglers out there and 6 cylinders are said to be real gas guzzlers, which I really don't want.

For a small client list of strictly small driveways(NO parking lots, NO big suburban driveways, etc.) can a 4 cyl. 5 speed Wrangler in 4 wheel drive do an adequate job. I believe I've read other posts on this website(or other websites) where posters say 4cyl/5 speeed 4x4's would do the job, but wanted other opinions.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Might want to post under Jeep Forum. Also take into consideration of where you live when it comes buying a truck. The lighter the truck the less it wil push. So I am not sure if the lake effect stuff is heavy paste or fluff. Also you may have to go back more than once during a storm where a 3/4 ton or bigger can clear it in one shot. I am sure some of the Upstate Ny guys can steer you in the right path.
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The 4 cyl isn't going to do much better on mileage. You'll also be doing alot of plowing in 4LO, it'll do the job buy a 6 will do it easier. Auto or manual is just personal choice.

FWIW, you can look around for a Cherokee (the boxy version, NOT the Grand). Mine was used 4 years plowing with nothing more than a u-joint replacement. IMO either are great driveway rigs the Cherokee will have an upper hand if you find one with the optional full time 4x4 transfercase, the Cherokee will also have a higher towing capacity than the Wrangler.
  4. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

is this the picture forum ????????????
  5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

You'll have no problems and the size is great for resi's.
    Been plowing with them forever , 300 hrs a season.