1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep w/ Snoway-22 or F250 w/ Boss-V???

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by BRENTMAN, Dec 7, 2008.

1. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

I was going to put a Snoway-22 on my '06 wrangler, but the ford dealer by my house has an F250 with a BOSS-V on it, all in good shape.....do you guys think i should look into trading my jeep in for the truck, or should i just put a snoway on my jeep as planned???
    Decisions, decisions.........
    I planned on doing mostly residential, and a few small lots with my wrangler, which would be perfect for it......and i'm sure by now it would be impossible to find any commercial contracts if i got the F250....which probably would be too large for residential?...I'm totally on the fence on this one.
    Perhaps i should put the snoway on my wrangler, which will add to the value of it, do my resi's this season, and sell it next season for a larger truck/plow???
    What do you guys think?
    Also, every swingin' dick in cleveland plows commercial...their like vulchers with the commercial lots up here....i have a feeling i'd make more money doing residential, but then again maybe i'm wrong..?
    i just want to plow god dammmmit
    -if only i was a rich man-

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This late in the season, stick with your plan. Use this season to build for next year, then look for a bigger rig, IF you find the contracts. Maybe you'll find a niche with what you have, and will not want to change your existing plan. Reliable professional Residential guys are tough to find.

3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Its all in what you want . do you want to salt ? if so get the ford . if not keep what you have . I've driven cars with 200 miles that broke all the time so if you buy it look it over well . now you know your jeep ,but i do think you'll Spend more on the plow than you will get back if you only use it one season . thats my 2 cents

4. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

yeah thats what i was thinking. How do you think that f250 would handle residentials? Not nearly as well as a jeep, huh? Do you think with a snoway 22 on my wrangler, i'd be able to handle some smalllll commercial? It would handle as many driveways as i can get at least, right?

5. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

ask F-250 man he seems to do just fine . I use my 2500 Chevy on drives it has pro wings on it so if i hit the grass its just rubber & it wont ripe up the grass . I've never plowed with a jeep .I see allot around tho

6. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

Thats another thing, why would someone sell a (which seems newer) f250 with a (which seems newer) Boss-V? My jeep runs pretty good, the things are built to last in hell.
    What do you see the jeeps doing, all resi?

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive used F150s and Jeeps I can do 2X drives with the Jeep as the truck. Are you in this to make money or to have a BIG truck.

8. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

yeah i know what you mean, point well made dude. I'll be sticking with the original plan most likely. How do you feel about the snoway22 on my wrangler, and some blizzaks? Also, do you salt your drives? How much weight do you think i should add to the back of it?
    ill make more $$ with my wrangler.

9. theplowmeister

from MA

I've not had a Snoway BUT I've seen them and seen the remarks on this site, I think its a good plow and down pressure IS the thing to have. the problem with wranglers is weight ... or lack their of. so blizzaks is a great idea I love them. I'm trying to get some more of them but they stopped making them in anything close to my size 31X10.50X15 As far as weight goes depends on the plow but at least #200 as far back as possible. I have a lead bumper that plugs into my recever hitch.

10. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

check on ebay or something, im sure youll find em on there eventually. or craigslist.
    how much does that lead bumper weigh?
    apparently you have to be filthy rich to finance a 4500 plow....pathetic.
    I hardly have credit so i didnt even apply, both my parents' applications were denied... We have 2 houses in a nice burb, and several cars. But no no no, cant get a little loan for barely 5 grand. I'd just buy the damn thing, but 5 grand is too much to just spend at once, payments are way easier.
    Oh well, i sent a nasty email and now their re-reviewing my application lol
    sorry for the rant.

11. theplowmeister

from MA

#500 bumper

12. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

500 huh, damn. you got the big ol boss v on ur jeep though so u prob need more weight in the back than i would.

13. theplowmeister

from MA

I had the same same weight when I used a fisher 7 1/2 RD plow. But yes you will use less weight.

14. computeruser

computeruser Junior Member

Yokahama makes a good winter tire, Geolandar I/T, in 31-10.50. I've got a set for my winter tires on my TJ, very good traction compared to BFG A/T or M/T.

15. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

Im running 33" BFG ATs - and on my last Jeep I ran 32" Kumho MTs. I was very happy with both - and for most of my driveway plowing, I plow in 2wd anyway..... Unless the snow is really heavy (>6") or really wet....

I say stick with the Jeep, add some Airlift #80702 bags to the front coils - but I am a bit biased..... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. larry newman

larry newman Member

You are talking about two radically different vehicles - each will make money best in the way it is designed, but it will hurt to use it where it's not suited.

The Jeep with the Sno-Way will turn around in the footprint of the F250 and be a whiz on small drives. Get the down pressure. No airbags needed for the front - the plow is not heavy enough to need them, This from my plow dealer.

Larger or even medium lots will take forever with the Jeep, which the F250 is made for. I run a 6'-8" plow by necessity for tiny 7' wide driveways between two buildings. Some larger lots take some time, but only for cleanup - when I go in overnight, all the tenants are parked, and I'm dodging around cars...wouldn't want to try that that in a full sized pickup. I also do sidewalks for businesses - the Jeep can thread thru narrow spaces easily.

17. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

You are correct about using the proper tool for the job. But - on the airbags - they are real nice to have to help save those front coils from sagging prematurely. Both my jeeps - and many others I see running around town - all are driving on the bumpstops without those air bags. I often have jeep owners stop and ask me what i did to keep mine level. Thats how I know the part number by heart - 80702... :D While I guess you dealer might be correct in that you dont NEED them.... You really should have them....

At $70 for the pair - its is a huge benefit to keeping the Jeep level, and saving those front springs from over compression.

Proof? Jeep before airbags - totally stock - riding on (and chewing up) the bumpstops.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  18. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I'm also looking at purchasing a Jeep for next season but cannot decide to go with another 1500 short box or a jeep.....I had a huge storm a couple of weeks ago with over 50cm of snow in 24hrs, time i got to my last client snow drifts must of been over 5 ft...How does a jeep handle that? My v8 was wonderful plowed right threw it....I only do residential and plan on keeping residential for another couple years...How well do jeeps hold up? thanks

19. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

5 feet of snow? So - what - you plowed out the bottom, the snow fell on top of you, you backup and take another run at it? I am not sure I could put my "word" on plowing 5 feet of snow with my jeep. have plowed 2 feet, where the snow was coming over the top of the blade, and it was fine....

i also do driveways, which is very different from doing to local mall with 100ft plow runs, where after 10-15 rows it really gets compact, heavy, and wet....

The jeep itself is very durable - I would look for a 97-06 TJ style - the old school 4.0 is a good durable motor. You might also look for one with a Dana 44 axle - search on jeepforum.com for pictures of the dana 35 and 44 rears - and there is tons of info there to search on.

20. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Yes snow was over my headlight...