1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep w/coil springs ok for plow?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by BIG M, Nov 10, 2006.

1. BIG M

BIG M Member

Can I install a plow on a 99 jeep wrangler Sport with coil springs?
    Or do you only use jeeps with leaf springs in the front for plowing?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Install them all the time. Good vehicle for driveways.

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Absolutely.
    There are many products available, if you need to beef up the front coils.
    Good Luck

4. polplow

polplow Member

yes, I have a 2000 sport with a 6.5 meyer on it

5. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I have a fully loaded 98 with a 2.5" lift even and put a western suburbanite on it and didn't even have to beef up the front. works great!!

6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Big M, Springs are fine but the front could sag a lot. A very easy way to fix this is with Timbren products $160 plus shipping for my 89' Cherokee. Even if the front is not sagging that much this product will help the vehicle now for future problems with front end sag.:salute:

7. Scrambler22

Scrambler22 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I got a 7' Western on my 2000 Wrangler with a 4" lift.Had to modified the bladeside mount for lift. I have air bags but never even put them in the coils. Been on it now for 3 yrs without a problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  8. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

97 TJ with airlift air bags in the coils.
    I had the Timbrens and they did what
    they are supposed to but the ride was
    way too harsh so I yanked em and
    went with the airlift airbags.
    Nice ride and supports the plow perfectly.
    [​IMG]

9. whiteowl

whiteowl Junior Member

whiteowl

I have been using a winter-wolf on my 2001 Wrangler (coil springs) for 4 years with no problem. The fact that the whole plow rig is only around 300 lbs helps a lot. But, I don't do commercial, just my long, extra wide driveway plus a few neighbors when the snow gets really bad and they start to wine with that heavy shovel in their hand. (Plus, they know I will work for beer)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  10. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Let me get this straight: you live in Milwaukee and you have to WORK for beer!!!!! :drinkup:

Fran

11. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Jeeps with coil springs

I have a 2003 Rubicon and plow commercially. I use a Western Suburbanite 7'4" and installed Airlifts on the front for the plow, and a set on the rear to assist when I haul a load such as 16 bags of mulch or a load of full grown adults. For the plow, I put 40 psi air in the front. Works beautiful, doesn't drop even a half inch. I plowed for a while without, but I have to tell you, the front dropped within a 1/4" - 1/2" of the bumpstops. Too close when just sitting still. Some folks say you cant plow with a Jeep, they also say the plow I use is junk, but I am here to tell you they both both work just great. On another note, I dont burn any more gas plowing than I do driving. No regrets here!

12. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I agree....my jeep/suburbanite worked great for plowing. I didn't have the front end drop you had though mine might have dropped 1.5" at the most, but I also had rancho springs that were stiffer than stock. unfortunatly I sold my jeep a few days ago and too partial trade on a 92 f150 with a snowway plow....coil springs and it has airbags and needs them. this plow is much heavier. gonna miss that jeep though....easy to get into tight spots and turn around....this extended cab long box might be a PITA.