1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

jeep to plow driveways

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by mike ward, Aug 6, 2015.

1. mike ward

mike ward Member

does anyone have any experience with using a newer Jeep to plow residential driveways?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I opted to get an older jeep for plowing, the newer Jeeps have less torque off idle, wider so even a 7 1/2 ft plow is not wide enough. and the new jeeps have REALLY pis pore viability out the back. so I get a good TJ

3. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

I plowed my driveway all last wnter with a Snowbear on an '06 Liberty. It worked quite well, for what it is. There's a picture of it in this thread:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=145668&highlight=jeep

We had a lot of snow in the northeast last year, so it was a good test. The Liberty is nice because it is small and maneuverable, unlike a full size truck, especially an extended cab. I thought visibility was fine. It is, of course, much slower than a pickup with a hydraulic plow, and won't stand up to a lot of heavy duty use.

I'm sure Theplowmeister is right about torque on newer Jeeps, but mine's a diesel and that makes a big difference.

4. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

Torque doesn't matter for plowing because you lose traction. Force=mass*acceleration. If you can't move it, hit it harder.

Sidenotes, nothing will beat a Jeep for driveways. NOTHING. Just be careful on overweight regulations on the front axle. Keep rockin it. TJ's are way tougher than JK's too so excellent choice. (PS weird I thought theplowmeister was the OP, apologies if this comment is misdirected).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I always thought Torque got you rolling and horsepower kept ya going.....silly me.

My next plow truck will have 1000hp and little torque.

6. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

Additional torque or hp do absolutely nothing once the traction of your tires is broken.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

so then do you start out in 5th or overdrive? since torque doesn't DO anything?

8. 1olddogtwo

So a 1 horsepower Mack truck can move the same as a 500 Hp Mack

Learned meself some schooling 2day

Thanks bud!

9. bodaggin

bodaggin Banned
    from Canada

Trolls are out in abundance today. "Additional torque does nothing once the tires break traction". We don't plow on glue, it's snow and ice. Tires lose traction easily therefore an abundance of torque is not useful. Jeeps can easily break traction therefore they have plenty of torque.

I never said 1hp or 1tq is enough. I said enough torque to break traction of the tires. Please go back to 2nd day of schooling and touch up on your reading skills.

10. 1olddogtwo

I need a lot of torque to roll my 37's and with 12in of wide rubber hitting the pavement.... Besides my 12's are mud tires that stick like glue.

You need to read Facebook more.

And besides you said and I quote

"Torque doesn't matter for plowing because you lose traction. Force=mass*acceleration. If you can't move it, hit it harder."

I think my reading is correct... It doesn't matter.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No, no trolls, just going back to the 1st day of school.

12. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Will torque matter with an 8" lifted plow truck?

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Damn you guys are bad!!! :) To the OP, a Jeep is a driveway monster as long as you plow with the storm! Pat and Dieselss you guys outta be ashamed of yourselves!

14. 1olddogtwo

Sorry Dad

It was just to easy. I also have a jeep at home, the kind without a plow. Love wheeling it in the snow. If anything, I would put a plow on my 77 Bronco, 350 HP and the WB of a Jeep.

15. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

Shorter wheel base too. Jeeps for driveways rock!

16. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time. BS relative is my guess?

To the OP, the older Jeeps are the absolute king of the driveways. They can't be beat.

17. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

We may have lost the OP. Mike Ward if you're still reading, it sounds like old Jeeps are great. And I can assure you that my 2006 does a nice job on my driveway. I don't know if you are looking for newer than that.

I think some of the new Jeeps are really just cars, so be carfeul which you choose. The Liberty isn't an old fashioned body on frame, but it is pretty solid and has a great 4WD system. I'm not sure that is true of some of the others.

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you used REAL snow tires and used counterweight and balast traction is less of an issue. With insufficient torque you have to rev the motor and slip the clutch to get going (manual trany or auto they both have clutches) My YJ I could just take my foot of the clutch and it would push snow didnt need to use the gas. In my TJ if I do that it just stalls so I need to add gas when slipping the clutch.

You need to listen to people who have experiance.

O ya and hitting it harder just brakes things. grow up and learn.

19. 1olddogtwo

He was Banned yesterday.

20. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

No way! The PM!? Wow