1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep plow question....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by penberth, Aug 20, 2003.

1. penberth

penberth Member

After reading the following thread:

About how a Jeep Grand Cherokee cannot plow because it is a uni-body, and how the uni-body will twist and flex, etc. I have a question....

How come a Jeep Cherokee can have a plow? It also has a uni-body, but almost all manufacturers make one for it...Meyer, Western, and Snoway.

I am just curious, as I bought a used Meyer poly to plow my driveway with, but don't really want to destroy my 2000 Cherokee.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The older style Cherokee's were a unibody setup,but were much stronger overall.They would take a lot more abuse than the newer Grand Cherokee's.

I think the main reason the plow manufacturers don't offer much for the newer Grand Cherokee's is they have to many crush zones located near the plow mounts.The force imposed on the unibody at these points by the plow frame would crush them easily.They also have airbag sensors right in that vicinity,so it can cause problems as well.
  3. penberth

penberth Member

By this do you mean the regular Jeep Cherokee's overall are much stronger compared to a Grand Cherokee, or are you referring to the model year? ie...a 1987 Jeep Cherokee is say stronger than a 2000 Cherokee? I am reading it as the first the Cherokee compared to the GC. Thanks for the input.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The older Cherokee's,and the newer Cherokee Classic,are the same truck,and have a much stronger unibody.The design was pretty much the same from the early 84's to the when they were cancelled in 2002.

The newer Grand Cherokee's are much weaker.