1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep or truck with plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by drivewaydoctor, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Hey all,

I'm not new to the industry but figure this might be the best place to post to get the best answer.

I'm considering purchasing a couple of more plow trucks this summer for next season. Both vehicles will be used for residential driveways and my two long bed trucks will be used for commercial lots.

I'm looking for small trucks. Something that can get in and out of very tight places with very narrow streets. I'm thinking maybe Jeeps with small blades (5 feet to 6 feet tops) for back dragging will be the way to go.

I've never plowed with a Jeep however. Can anyone comment on this idea? Pros? Cons? Suggestions?

After I purchase these two vehicles for residential properties I plan on putting a Tornado V-Box Salter in my 2wd Ford F-250HD and using my Dodge Ram to plow lots then have the Ford salter come behind it to do the salting.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to plow with plows that small you should look into a ATV or UTV JMO. But I think a Jeep would work good as long as you have atleast a 6' blade on on it.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Id go with as big a blade as you can get (well 7 1/2 blade) on a jeep. Ive used the 6 1/2 to small.

JMO

4. One of the Jeeps would be going into a part of the city that is extremely tight. Cars parked on both sides of streets that are already narrow etc. ATV or anything that needs to be trailered isn't an option in metropolis Toronto.

5. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Jeep or an S10 will do the trick

6. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I used to plow 22 driveways with a 78' CJ-5 with a meyer 6 footer and a "kelly cab".. Awesome for turn arounds and various tight spots. As long as it's set up right. A Jeep is the way to go.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a jeep with a Sno-Way plow. The Down Pressure on the Sno-Way is great for backdragging.

8. Thanks guys! This is the kind of feedback/advice I was looking for!

9. Badgerland WI

Badgerland WI Senior Member

Look into a Mini Truck! They are street legal in your corner of the world and would be perfect for what you're trying to do. I can set you up with a professional referral to a dealer in your area if you're interested.

10. nekos

nekos Senior Member

if i were doing driveways again i would be in a jeep. IMHO, they are just perfect for it.

11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Last winter I used my neighbors 05 Wrangler with a 6.5' Fisher. It worked very well. It's a good setup for smaller areas.

12. I'll humor looking into one of these trucks. If not for plowing, maybe for hunting. So feel free to contact me with dealer info for Toronto.

Cheers!

13. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Jeep....All the way, they are one of the best for residential and small lots :drinkup:

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have to agree, jeeps are the truck for driveways. I just bought anewer TJ so I am selling my 93 YJ with a 680LT blizzard. Any Jeep is perfect for driveways IMOP.

Regards Mike

15. c0ke

c0ke Junior Member
    from canada

flykelley: I am interested in the blizzard 680lt. Would you sell it without the YJ?