1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep or Tacoma

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Jul 7, 2011.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I've been thinking about getting a Jeep TJ for driveways for a while,I recently found out that through work I'm able to get a great deal on Toyota,how would a new Tacoma aompare to a Jeep?The Tacoma I'd consider would be a regular cab,4 Cyl,manual.Thanks.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's all about wheel base and turning radius TJs list at 33.5 Taco regular cabs at 36.7 so they're really close.

There are a lot of guys happily running both set ups, the sercet no matter which you chose is GOOD SNOW/ICE tires, not junk a$$ M+S OEM bull deposits, and the correct amount of ballast.

A TJ will be at least 16 years old since they stopped production in 1995 no warranty, but parts are everywhere. The straight six is the preferred engine and various models had different rears so research the possible choices for the best option.

If you're talking a new Taco it will have a warranty, but again make sure you get the truck with the proper packages, high output alt, extra.

So now you need to decide which works better for you on a continuous basis
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

A YJ will be 16 years old, TJs ran 97-04 if I remember right. I've plowed with a TJ and it opened my eyes to the value of a small truck. I sold the TJ and used a Cherokee XJ the next year and am looking for a 99-04 Tacoma now.... Not because the Jeeps were anything but awesome plow trucks, but because I think a Tacoma would suit my off-season needs better. Anyway, keep the Cherokee in mind if you're looking for something cheap to plow in. Great turning radius, comfy and amazing visibility. The Jeeps will push a LOT of snow with the right tires and weight. Good luck and I'll be following along to see what you end up with.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you are correct sir:salute: the years are 97-06. then they become the JK.

I always get them backwards something about t, u, v, w, x, y, z my mind likes things alphabetical. :dizzy:

Still no warranty, a $hitpot load of aftermarket parts and a wonderful reputation as driveway machines.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

$hitpot load of aftermarket parts and a wonderful reputation as driveway machines.

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up