1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

jeep or range rover

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kashman, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

well its time for a new driveway truck. if any1 has a range rover with a plow let me see it i think thats the best bet
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

JEEP, parts are everywhare for them when it breaks down
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I want to put a on a Land Rover for fun, but it really doesn't make much sense considering the cost of the vehicle/repairs and that nobody I know of makes a mount for one. Do a search and you'll find a few on here/out there, but they're all custom jobs that I know of.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get a Jeep
  5. kashman

im just thinking the rover is better built then the jeep
  6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Yup, and you'll find out how much better when you get the bill from the repair shop !
  7. D&E

D&E Senior Member

There's a reason you've NEVER seen a Range Rover with a plow on it.
  8. mikeym

mikeym Junior Member

all aluminum engine in the range rover... will warp and be big headache... get a geep
  9. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

lol serious? range rover with a plow? come on...
  10. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Jeep they can with stand the bouncing around alot more, they are built to be 4x4 offroad vehicles. would be weird to see it on the rover, i have thought of many things and i look back now and think wow was that not a good idea, after doing the right thing instead.
  11. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Rovers are junk....everyone I know who has had one has had nothing but costly....really costly problems. Stick with a Jeep American, cheaper to buy and to own
  12. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I doubt that a Jeep can handle bouncing around any more that a Rover - remember that Land Rover has a pretty serious off road heritage too. I've heard nothing but bad things in terms of reliability, but I know someone with a 200k+ Disco... Anyway, a Jeep would be the obvious cheaper, easier choice. Oh, and there are a few LRs with plows on this site.
  13. kashman

rovers do well in the outback
  14. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

15. kashman

ill be looking for something a little more modern
  16. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

like this found these on this site already

17. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Buy an old tractor....it would ride about the same and be better and more reliable. Mind you old tractor.....my new Deere rides like a Cadillac in comparison to an old Rover :)
  18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Jeep- range rover is a yupified car these days. The designer of the original Land Rover was disgusted with what his creation has become.

FWIW, as an alt, I've heard from a Coworker that the 95 era Nissan pathfinders are fantastic plow trucks for drives- he has 3 of them and is considering selling his old Scout since he believes the Pathfinder is just as good. If you know about Scouts and plows, you know how much of a compliment that is to the Nissan.
  19. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Go with the jeep. The rover has wayy to many problems to make it a reliable plow truck. The Rover uses an engine design originally concieved by Buick In the early 60's. It has an aluminum block with steel cylinder sleeves which drop causing leaks into the engine oiling system. The rovers are riddled with leaks--head gaskets, front cover gaskets, intake gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and the trans is not built heavy enough to take repeated abuse. Plus getting parts for it on a saturday--your screwed. The jeep--not alot of issues and the 4.0 6cyl is a great engine and you can pratically get parts for it at Wal Mart. There are so many guys running jeeps on this site without issues---Jeep hands down. I am a warranty claims adjuster and every time I have to go and look at a rover the bill is over 4k for repairs on vehicles with less than 80k. YOU WILL DEEPLY REGRET PUTTING A ROVER INTO PLOW SERVICE--TRUST ME.
  20. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member