1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep or Chevy pickup?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Dec 12, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Next summer, I can get my drivers permit, and I have a sort of choice to make. I am wondering if a 2000 Jeep Wrangler w/straight 6 and auto tranny, or a 1996 Chevy 1500 w/V6 and auto tranny would be better for plowing residential driveways? I was thinking I would either get a 6 1/2' Western suv plow for the Jeep, or a 7 1/2' Western plow for the Chevy. My drives aren't too small, but I was thinking it might be easier to maneuver the Jeep than the Chevy. Does anyone else out there plow with a Jeep? How does it do with relatively deep snow? What plow do you run?

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Either truck would work. Wranglers are great for driveways but you are pretty much useless elsewhere with just a 6'5" plow, at least productivity wise.

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee that my brother plows with and it also serves as a back up truck. Its has a 7' Curtis which has been great. The Curtis is a little heavier then a 6'5" from Western or Meyer, I needed airbags to support the weight out front and a good 500 LBS of ballest in the rear. Otherwise the Cherokee plows just about as good as my F-150, definately great for its size. You need an auxilliary transmission cooler and need 4 LO more often but I have pushed as much as 22" with the cherokee and more with the F-150. The wranglers plow a little better then the cherokees would be my guess. Great turning radius as mentioned but you really need to keep it to driveways to be productive with a smaller plow. If you ever want to get into small lots you will want at least a 7'5".
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks cja, anyone else? (comments greatly appreciated)
  4. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

go with the truck, more options, ability to carry snowblowers, salt, etc and uses for lawn care
  5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

if your just doing driveways get the jeep.
    if your planing on sub contracting your going to need a bigger truck, i would suggest a 2500 +

BTW , Jeep's are a blast in the summer and trust me on this ...
    women LOVE jeep's !!!! god i miss my old jeep ! :(
  6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

If your doing resi's get the jeep, if commercial lots, get the chevy, either way you cant go wrong, execpt maybe not having a 3/4ton.

I will always have a Jeep Wrangler or a 3/4ton + vechicle. After owning a dakota and 2 f150's, I will always get the right tool for the right job, if you dont, it will only cost you $ in repairs. Trust me, I spent $6000+ on repairs for a truck that was worth $3000 and needed more work!!!

Again with that said, get the right truck for the right job, even if you have to get another part time job to save up enough money to get the right truck or jeep.

I learned my lesson, and I dont want other to learn the same way I did!

Good luck with you decesion, and you still have another year so just keep saving. And dont forget how expensive insurance is for 16 year olds!!!!!
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  7. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare Member

Go with the wrangler, but not the suv plow. We took our 98 wrangler and put air bags in it, and put a western 7' standard on it, it is a plowing machine.
  8. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Go with the JEEP. I have a 2000 TJ with a snoway ST 6.8 it is great. I can get into almost any part of the driveway and turn around on it. The plow is good too, with down pressure. A TJ is the best for residential.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

its what you want not what we want.:rolleyes:
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, go with the truck. :nod:
  11. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Definetly the truck! More weight and the utility aspect of hauling and putting balast weight in the box etc...

If you are doing alot of plowing I would suggest getting a 3/4 ton the 1/2 take a beating! We destroyed a 1997 1/2 in 1 year doing commercial plowing!
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Go with the Chevy,more stuff available and more guys here to help you with it. Jeep's are OK but may have more work needed then they are worth!
  13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i kno jeeps are fun to play in and very good plow vehicals. but the chevy pick up has so much more to offer. when i turned 16 i had a chance to get my parents 1994 jeep wrangler for free. i said kno becuz im a landscaper and needed a truck. i bought a 1993 ford f-250 and put a 8ft western plow on it. im happy i went with the truck over the jeep.