1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep new springs

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by wls, Dec 9, 2010.

1. wls

wls Senior Member

I have a 99 tj, with a 2.5-3" lift in it, they replaced the coils, with longer ones. It had 2200# front rating, do you think the lift springs would increase the rating somewhat? Rides like a lumberwagon. 99 tj, 4,0, 5 sp.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Let me guess, you got Skyjacker springs?

The axle rating is based on all kinds of things

size; of brakes, of ball joints, tie-rod ends, wheel bearings, axle tube wall thickness and diameter. U-joint size.... the list goes on and on.

just changing the springs while keeping the jeep level and riding like a truck. does not necessarily change the axle rating.

What do you want to do? You have the same wheel bearings as a D44 and the same U-joint as some 1 ton trucks.

I get 75 to 100K out of wheel bearings and tie-rods, ball joints last over 120k Thats with a 700# plow

your brakes are not up to par for stopping a 700# plow from 75 MPH without over heating.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. wls

wls Senior Member

not sure on the springs, I know the door jamb says 2200#, but has the 4.0 in. I believe I have the heavier axles, I'll go and take a pic of the axles and post on here. I may want to put a plow on for next year, no blizzard 810, but more like a sd 68, snowdog.
  4. wls

wls Senior Member

Here's some pics

5. micklock

micklock Senior Member

6. wls

wls Senior Member

I was just wondering if these were a little stiffer then the stock ones, this is the first wrangler type jeep I have ridden in, so I don't know what a stock tj rides like. Whats the back one, it has the screw in plug, a 35?? Are the d30's pretty good axles? Thanks
  7. micklock

micklock Senior Member

If it has a screw plug it's a d44, here is a link
  8. micklock

micklock Senior Member

The d30's and d44 fronts have the same ball joints, axle tubes and outer knuckles. The d44's have stronger ring and pinion gears.