1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Meyers EZ-classic 6'6" connector issues.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by JeepCoMJ, Nov 11, 2010.

1. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

So, as this is my first post, I'm just going to give a heads-up that I DID use the search function.

My brother has had a little Meyers plow on my brother's comanche now for a year. absolutely loves it.

It's an EZ series mount...classic, I think. pump disconnects top and bottom with a quick-connect round wiring harness plug.

here's his setup, on his '88 jeep comanche.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, today I was in the junkyard and I found a little chevy luvv with a complete 6'6" meyers plow on it. same exact setup, different mount (obviously...since it's a different truck lol). bought it complete with mounts, wiring, a frame, angle rams, blade with good cutting edge, and E47 pump and quick connector. all it's missing is the feet. $250 seemed like a good deal, considering my brother's cost $1000.

I have my bro's truck for some work to be done to it, conveniently...so I just popped it on the truck to make sure it all mounted up the same, and to test it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to repair the center pin area on the blade where the A frame meets it...it's definitely been abused. both blade-side pins for the angle rams are broken, too. should be an easy repair.

I'm putting it on my '87 gone '99 comanche, and won't be using any of the Luvv mount to set it up. I'll be incorporating it into my built front bumper as a low-profile quick connect setup
    [​IMG]

Anyways, this isn't about the mount. I've got that covered.

my problem is that the plow-side quick electrical connector is completely shot. it's the round one, and shows up as number 6 in some diagrams, but those diagrams have different style connectors. mine is a 5 pin (2 large, 3 small) round connector.

the body side connector seems OK, but the mounting tabs on it are broken...I can work around that.

but, without that connector, I can't make this pump work at the moment. I plugged it in, but all I get is solenoid click. I'm sure the pump could use a seal kit, too.

anyone know the part number for that plug? or have one they'd sell me? I want to get this set up a.s.a.p., and I want the OEM style setup just in case one of these pumps I have fails, and I need to loan him mine or vice-versa.

I'm going to bypass the whole setup tomorrow to test it, hopefully it works.

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

thanks...I've already been there, they don't have what I need :(

4. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Did you call them? I've found that some stuff isn't listed on
    their site.

5. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

nah. i figured internet should be easier than trying to explain to some idiot who just got hired to do phone service, that probably has no idea what I'm talking about.

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Guaranteed if you call Chuck will be able to help you, he's a one man show.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While you're at it turn the angle rams around, they're on backward.

The old round single connector plugs were never known for being all that reliable and sourcing them now is nearly impossible. Instead, change both trucks and pumps over to a simple 4 pin trailer connector for the control harness and a couple simple Anderson connectors and some new battery cables for the power cables. Far easier to source now and repair/replace in the future as well. Everything can be purchased at any local GOOD parts store.

8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

well. at $170 for that harness...no thanks. I'll wait til I find someone selling a parts pump with harness, and pick the whole thing up for $100.

motor on pump was froze. new motor, pump works. was low on fluid...added ATF just to test. already flushed system out, need to put new filter and fluid in.

can I just use ATF in this thing, or do I need to go with a plow fluid...and at that, do I HAVE to use meyers fluid? don't tell me what meyers "suggests"...base the answer off facts and experience please.

-Pat

9. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

that said, the connector I have "works"...i just won't want to remove it very often for fear of it crumbling lol.

10. HeavyD

HeavyD Member

Meyer fluid period...and I mean M1 fluid not the Blue label cheap crap from Napa or anywhere else....
    I learned a valuable lesson 2 seasons ago, had nothing but trouble, My alternator dropped into the 5 volt range every time I just lifted the plow...making it really tough to actually plow anything...I had cheapo Napa fluid in there which was way too viscous causing my pump motor to draw too many amps...ALL I did was change to Meyer M1 fluid and bingo, 11 volts no matter what I'm doing with the Slik Stick and was much faster to boot. I also had my share of laying out in the snow trying to fix crap, frozen pump, bad coils that were new, That was all cheap REPLACEMENT CRAP ! Not good Meyers brand stuff....it makes a difference, trust me..Last year I never had an issue...period just plowed my ass off ! Do a search for B & B's posts....he is the one who set me straight, a wealth of great info sharing.

11. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

thanks

-Pat

12. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

X2 What HeavyD said. I had similar experiences. I've
    been running Meyer plows for 22 years and servicing
    everything myself. Also what fester said. You call Smiths
    you won't be talking to "some idiot". Guaranteed. Good luck!

13. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I replaced the motor (it was froze) and everything works. ordered a seal kit, gonna tear it down, clean it, reseal, and run the MEYER fluid I ordered in it.

got the plow apart right now, all 4 ram pins were bad. center pin area is reinforced and done.

14. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I'd order some flush as well because now that you've
    run ATF through the system you'll need to flush it all out
    of there after rebuilding the pump but before filling with fresh
    M1 else you'll contaminate the whole deal. Flushing the entire system includes flushing the
    angle cylinders as well. I believe Chuck posted a vid
    on youtube that shows how to do it properly.

15. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Yup, followed the vids...got it covered even with alcohol involved