1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 as a back up plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by itsgottobegreen, Feb 17, 2005.

1. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ok my girlfriend wants to buy a 2000 - 2002 used Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. I want to know does anybody on here have one with a plow on it. I would like to make it a back up plow truck. I want to put a Blizzard 720lt on it, but the guys at blizzard can't guaranty that it will mount. They said it fits the Cherokee. I am not sure how much of a difference there is.

How well does it work for light plowing with any plow. Any mods needs in order to do so, etc.

Or should I just scrape that idea and try to convince her to buy something else that could be a back up plow. Because I know what that will cause her to start :cry: I told her she could buy any 4x4 she wanted as long as it can accept a plow.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No plow manufacturer makes a mount for the grand cherokees, just the cherokees. The Grand Cherokees have different subframes so i would not even consider buying a mount for a regular cherokee and expecting it to fit, it won't. Further more, The Grand Cherokees are not recommended for plowing because of crumple zones behind where a plow mount would bolt. I know of one Blizzard dealer that makes a CUSTOM mount for the grand cherokees he is in erie, pa. The Grand Cherokees are built more for comfort and smooth ride as opposed to the regular cherokees which are more "truck like".

3. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

2500 suburban? or is that too big? otherwise as far as the cherokee goes, as a smalller spot/ute they are great. best thing that front end is fairly beefy. good luck :)

4. itsgottobegreen

damn! :realmad:

I knew this wasn't going to work. I guess I have to try to talk her into something else.

cja1987 PM me with this guy's info. I want to talk to him about the plow mounts. Incase I can't change her mine.

5. RipT

RipT Senior Member

SnowBear has mounts for a Grand Cherokee and Frontier/Homesteader "may" also have mounts.

6. itsgottobegreen

:p
    I want a real plow on it. Both of thoses are toys.

Anyways she said she might consider a regular Cherokee if its loaded. :p She understood that a plow wouldn't fit. She didn't want me to trash by building my own mounts for it. I know that will accept a Bizzard. Some one on here has pictures of one.

7. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

check the snoway web site, they may make a plow for that suv.

8. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

Here is an idea for her,

Why not go for a short bed, full size, 4x4 truck? There pretty good for everything. I use this for residential, small commercial, and inbetween.
    I do have a jeep, but the problem is it sits low, the radiator has to be beefed up because of the plow. Even though you have it the plow as low as you can while driving. Yes this is the case for any vehicle but for a jeep I found it was more of a problem. The frame can handle the weight but, after two years, this year it is sightly lower than usual. Needless to say, this is the last year for my ole' boy, he has had a work out with the snow in december and has not been working since. I don't recommend a blizzard for that vehicle. Try a western or something eles.

My 2 cents and expierience :waving:

:angel:

9. zippoz

zippoz Member

i have a plow on a 87 cherokee laredo. the thing is beefy, weighs a hell of a lot and pushed snow fine. the other day i was pushin 3 foor piles of ice with the damn thing. and its my only plow truck, hasnt let me down yet

10. cja1987

Yes but there is a difference between the Cherokees and Grand Cherokees :rolleyes:

11. itsgottobegreen

Still a toy. I want a real plow.

I don't plan on using it for plowing any accounts. Its supposed to be her daily driver. I want to make it a back up rig. She will also used it to plow her parents, brother and sisters houses. Other wise I would talk her into a F-150 super cab.

12. cja1987

Your wrong about that, snoway is very much a real plow, the downpressure system makes it even better. You may not be able to put anything but a Blizzard with a custom mount on it, as I don't think snoway makes a mount for the grand cherokees.The blizzard dealer that I know of that makes a custom mount for the Grand Cherokees is Jerre Heyer at Jerre's Service in Erie, PA. Ill see if I can find the phone # and address for you if you want. I don't know how much it would cost, but he seems to do alot of custom work for people and does a really good job.

13. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I would not use a Grand Cherokee for plowing. A Cherokee as a backup plow, I might be alright with that. I have a 92 Cherokee, without a plow. It is a reliable and rugged vehicle no doubt, I have been trying to kill it for the last 5 years, and it keeps comming back for more. It does have a cooling system that is fair at best. Fine for highway, but even casual city driving can cause the temp gauge to climb (again without a plow). I have owned it since it was 2 years old, and has always been that way. So that would be my biggest concern is adequate cooling. If I had to pick an SUV for a backup plow vehicle, I think I would lean towards a s-10 Blazer, since they have a full ladder frame and are not unibody like the Cherokee and Grand. Also the Blazer seems to have a beefier cooling system to start with. If you can talk her into it, a fullsize Blazer/Yukon/Tahoe would be even better yet. I lean towards Chevy products, but in all fairness, the ranger/explorer are also full frame vehicles. I'm just not a Ford guy.

Kevin

14. cja1987

All Good Points, you are right about the cooling system on the cherokees. We got ours in August and it started having overheating problems in october. So when I bought the plow for it, I got a new, bigger/better radiator for it and it has been fine since. Unibody can be a problem, I would think even more so in the Grand Cherokees. The Grands just are not made to handle a plow thats why nobody makes a mount. Could a Grand handle a plow, I don't know it would probley "work" for a few drives but I would be hesitent to put a plow on a grand chrokee. Even with regular cherokees, you have to be carful not to go ramming snow banks with it since it is unibody. Kevin has a good idea with the Blazer/Yukon/Tahoe and you will have no problem finding "real" plows for those vehicles.

15. zippoz

zippoz Member

my radiator also had seom problems it was replaced with a bigger newer one before i bought it, and sometimes it looks like its going to top 260 when i drive it out to michicgan, but it never does

16. itsgottobegreen

I want a plow that has some guts to it.

Anyways I foung a Bronce with a meyers on it. She wasn't to happy about it. But she said she could get small car for a daily driver and used this to get to work in bad weather. She needs 4x4 1 day a week to get to a test site for work.