1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Front End Sag w/plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by beverlylawncare, Jan 17, 2012.

1. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

I know, I know, there's 82 1/2 threads about plows on jeeps, and yes, I've searched and read most of them. And if anything, I'm even more confused on where to go with this...

The obvious choices are timbrens or air shocks, but I keep reading about the air bags getting leaks. I've searched for air shocks, but I can't find any for my vehicle. Any suggestions?

My concern about timbrens, they worked great for a K1500 from a few years back. The Jeep appears that it has less room for travel. So my concern with them is that they will be resting on the axle the second the plow is raised, making for a stiff ride.

BTW 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Bone stock.

Would a 2-3" suspension lift help or once the plow is raised, am I back to square one with the whole sagging issue?
  2. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

Monroe MA763 is the PN for front air shocks for a TJ.
  3. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

I had seen this p/n in a few posts. When I think of "air shock" I think of a metal tubular shock that has air going to it. When I google search for Jeep air shocks, I find more of an air BAG setup. Something that (in the Jeep application) goes inside the coil shock, but for other vehicles, goes next to other suspension components (leaf springs, shocks, etc) to assist.

Do you have these Monroes? I'm trying also to see pics of what others have. I have an F250, we're trying to outfit my buddy's TJ so he can help me out with plowable snows.

4. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Nevermind... Just googled and finally found a pic of this. This is what I was recommending to him!

Now, has anyone actually used these and how do they compare to a "bag" or timbrens?
  5. bayshoreinc

bayshoreinc Junior Member

Just put a 4" SuperLift on it. Then add some 32" BFG All Terrain tires and you'll be good to go. That's what I'm running. Perfect setup.
  6. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

I would go with a lift kit. Timbrens are just hard rubber bump stops. Air shcoks and suspension is okay, but the lift kit would be the over all best way to go.
  7. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

I put them on an 04 TJ with a 3in body lift. So far they have worked great. I set them at about 60psi. They were very easy to install. I just drilled a whole through the shock tower instead of cutting through like some others have done. I get almost no sag. See pics at the link below. I'll don't have any with the plow raised right now.

8. Curro

Curro Member

I ended up going with a Gabriel Hijacker 49216 for my TJ. They are Gabriels version of a Monroe MA763.
  9. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I have both...air bags for three years and shocks this year which hasn't been much here.
    I have had no complaints with the air bags. The lines that were supplied are a whole another story. They have become brittle and needed replacement. The shocks are definately simpler to install.
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

you want to know if any of us use air shacks

Go to the top of the page
    scroll down till you get out of the ads
    find the gray bar going across the page
    click on search
    click on advanced search
    enter "air shocks" WITH THE QUOTES into the "search word(s):" box
    go down to search options in the lower right of the search window and find the "search forum(s):" box
    and highlight "jeep forum"
    on the left side in the "show results as" click on the radio button for "show posts"

click search
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  11. theplowmeister

from MA

12. torpedodave

torpedodave Junior Member

13. theplowmeister

from MA

I just re ran the search and came up with a different Web addresshttp://www.plowsite.com/search.php?searchid=2953580

maybe you cant link to it from a browser that has been closed or different computer.

Il post , close browser and re try.

New link works for me :)
  14. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

If you re-read my original posting, I clearly stated that I had already performed the search. Your redundancy to explain in step-by-step detail (mis-spellings and incorrect links included) didn't actually answer the questions I had asked.

It appeared that you actually GOT it at first (see your top line, only replace "shacks" for "shocks") but then you got off on one of your famous tangents. Perhaps this occurred while you were at the parts store looking for a fix for your own stupidity?

Thanks to the others for all of your help!

Thumbs Up
  15. theplowmeister

from MA

I dont think you did search I ran the search as instructed and came up with 350 posts that mention air shocks. a real quick sample found 8 Jeep owners that "actually use them"

Timbrins will make the ride harsh ALL the time
    a lift will not fix the front sag (I know I have a 4 1/2 lift in my TJ and had a 2 1/2 lift in my YJ)

Ive used air shocks for 20 + years in all my Jeeps from a 88 YJ to my 2000 TJ
    just look at my sig it says air shocks so yes people use them.

It appears that you cant copy and post a search link .

sorry that my stupid miss spelling made it so you could not follow my ideas. O wait you could.
  16. torpedodave

vBulletin Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. vBulletin Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Nope, still doesn't work that way. Weird.

Plowmeister, did you drill a hole in your shocks to make them fit? Do you have any threads where you've posted pictures or explained how YOU made the air shocks work? I searched myself and found one thread where a guy posted pictures and did a really good job explaining what he did, but he apparently had a lot of problems with leaking air after his mods.
  17. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

18. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

19. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

That's the kind of replies that would actually HELP people.

I see you are in the "2000+" club. Way to go! I'm sure one or two of them MAY have actually HELPED someone! :rolleyes:
  20. torpedodave

Pool, that was super helpful. Do you by any chance have a part number or link for the shocks themselves?