1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep four wheel drive binding

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by snow problem, May 7, 2007.

1. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

The other day I used the 4-wheel drive on my 99 Jeep Cherokee and it feels like it has not fully disengaged. The full-time light is not on, but when i turn to the left and right i feel a binding as if it was in 4-wheel drive, any idea's?
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Keep the wheels straight, pull it back into 4wd. Roll forward a little and while you're still rolling put it back in 2wd then back up about 15 feet. That should ensure it's out of 4wd. Just a thing to remember too there will always be a small amount of binding since the newer XJ's don't use a central axle disconnect or hubs, the transfer case is the only 'break' in the system.
  3. jonzer12

jonzer12 Member
    from Canada

9 times out of 10 its the transfercase linkage is out of adjustment. Meaning there is play or misalignment in the t-case lever assembly. Take a look.
  4. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

Thanks, but what am i looking for?