1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Comanche?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by darood01, Nov 6, 2009.

1. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

Is it worth buying on for less then $500? It is a 1988 with the inline 6 with 165,000 miles. I would use it as a back up or is it not worth dealing with since reading the whole uni-body deal. I have only residential and one small 20 spot parking lot? The body is in good condition.

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

If not rusty, it sounds like a great deal, the 4.0L is a great engine.

There is a lot of hear-say about Cherokee/Commanche uni-bodies, but that is mostly from people who have never plowed with one.

Many posts in this thread are pro-Cherokee/Commanche written by ACTUAL OWNERS. :D
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=57880

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. bigmuny

bigmuny Junior Member

Buy it..if you don't want it send me the info and I will buy it...

4. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Comanche's make great plow trucks for small lots and driveways. I wouldn't wanna tackle the Walmart superstore lots with one. That being said stick a 7-7.5' blade on it and some decent tires along with a little ballast in the bed and enjoy. The 4.0L is a virtual tank. You will enjoy a long and loving relationship with a legend in the Jeep community if you choose the Comanche.

5. oldrusty

oldrusty Junior Member

I have been plowing the last three seasons with my 89 comanche. I love plowing with that little truck. I do mostly residential drives and a couple small lots. Just have to remember its not a bulldozer.lol....
    [​IMG]

6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I had a Brand New 1987 Commanche with the 4.0IL six and auto 4x4 with a 7' Fisher plow on it. It was in the top three plow trucks I ever had! Put a set of real snow tires and a little bit of ballast in the back it is will go through anything!. I use to plow out an entire industrial park with mine 10 buildings and three streets, plus 15-20 other accounts. I had it for 8 years never once did that truck break! I moved the plow to a Cherokee, and again another great plow truck. I would never fear a XJ unibody, they are very Tough as good as a full framed Dakota, or S10 but better driveline.

7. FBNemo

FBNemo Junior Member

NICE comanche you have. :salute:
    I finally got my 89 MJ back from my college daughters this past summer. Been updating the MJ and giving it the TLC it needed to be a more reliable DD.
    I have a 4.0L, AT, 4" lift with 31" Mastercraft M/T's. This past fall, I wanted to install my Ford 8.8 in the rear with LSD and 4.10 gearing. The front would get the same gear change and a possible lockright. Maybe this spring?
    Love using the SNOWBEAR blade on my driveway and friends. Light and simple to move around. Don't have much in it so I can have the blade sit, if needed.
    Here is a pix of the MJ pushing some snow from past year...
    [​IMG]

8. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes Junior Member

FBNEMO.... hi there

9. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

If you know how to work on a Jeep Engine...The GET IT...
    Perfect plow truck!!!!