1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Cherokee

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Dec 15, 2001.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

DOes anyone have any experence with plowing with a jeep cherokee? I have a 96' 4x4 4.o liter. its what i drive when i dont want to drive a truck. I was thinking about puttin a plow on it for driveways because of its compact size. What do you all think? would i need more weight in the backend? and also how big of a plow should i get?
    thanks
    -Nick

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have a plow on my 4runner. Not the same thing but similiar. I put some bags of salt in the back for weight. Works well.

I would suggest a 6.5 or 7 ft plow.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Cherokee, but no plow on it. (Yet)

Bear in mind there is no frame under it. (I don't know if this is a factor, but it might be a challange mounting a plow...)

There probably aren't too many manufacturers who make a factory mount kit for it.

As far as the truck itself, I would have a good deal of confidence in it's ability. The power would certainly be no problem...

Like thay fire dude said, a 6.5' or 7' would be the size I'd look for.

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I used to have a Cherokee... only mine was a '95. That was a heck of a truck. I would go through just about anything, and it was very comfortable. My only gripe was that it REALLY lacked in headroom... and being 6'1", I need headroom. I think they would make a great truck for doing drives. A 6.5' Snoway would be a great plow for it. I you don't mind putting it through the abuse of plowing... I'd go for it.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What year Kent? I have seen older cherokees (late 80's) with Fisher and Meyer plows. Maybe they had full frames.

6. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

Like Slim Jim Z71 said,
    If you don't mind working it...
    I've got a 97 4.0L 5spd that is the weekend truck. It hasn't let me down yet, And it gets into some rough places going fishing, camping, hiking etc. I love mine its a tough little 4x4. And I've often wondered what it could do with a plow.

As far as plowing with one goes, meyer lists a plow for them, I believe snoway would have one and fisher as well.

You would need some balast in the rear. If its an auto, a tranny cooler is a must. And I would recomend some front end support(air bags, timbrens).

I'd be curious to hear just how well one does with a plow on it.

Matt

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

There were plows made for them (don't know what brand, model or years available)

I don't know if/when the older ones had a full length frame, but the newer ones (85?-01) are unibody construction.

The unibody configuration is not a bad thing, it's just soemthing to keep in mind when trying to set the unit up for snowplowing.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

A neighbor had one (95?) with a Meyer plastic blade. He would do the parking lots of his 3-family buildings with it. No ballast no nothing, just did it every couple inches and took it Reeeaaalllll slow...

9. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

The full size cherokee production run was 1974-1983. They were full frame rigs. First offered in only 2 door models. Later they were also offered with 4 doors. The full size Wagoneer went more upscale and Jeep needed something to fill the utilitarian side, so they built stripper 4 door wagoneers and badged them Cherokees.

I think a great driveway truck would be a mid 70's Cherokee WT (wide track, had factory fender flares, and wider axles) 2 door. You could get them with a 401, back that with the T18 four speed and dana 20 t-case. Pre '80 models had dana 44's front and rear which is nice. 80-82 had a dana 44 front and a AMC 20 rear. Not the same rear as the CJ's got. The AMC 20 in the CJ's is swapped out by most due to the weak 2 piece axles, whereas the FSJ's(full size jeep) AMC 20's had one piece axles.

In '84 the full size cherokee was dropped and replaced with the new XJ mid sized cherokee. The full size Jeep line continued with the Grand Wagoneer until '91 (a handful of '92's were built, much speculation over exact numbers in '92, some say 330, most say much less) Also the Full size Jeep pickup continued on until '87, a handful of '88's were supposedly built.

If you want some great FSJ info here's a site: www.ifsja.org
    And the FSJ's are great in snow, I have a '80 Wagoneer. Also looking to sell my Dodge plow truck and replace it with a Jeep pickup.

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have seen the smaller Cherokee with those plows I stated earlier.

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I am referring to the squared off midsized Cherokee.

12. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill, sorry to jump a bit off topic there. I know you were referring to the small cherokee's. Kent had posted wondering if the older ones were full framed. So I responded.

I would think the XJ cherokee would make a decent little plow truck, the unibody might not like lot's of commercial use however.

Whoops, apologies also to Columbia who started the thread.

13. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I use a yj

The one thing I would worry about is the uni-body. even doing residentials I bang the front end pretty hard and I think that If you did hit something hard you might start cracking the body. I can see hairline cracks starting on my ladder frame and I have to get them welded before the next snow fall and I'm only using a four cylinder with a light duty plow.

Marty