1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Cherokee Whelen TIR3, Vertex, and Spitfire Plus LED

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Hubjeep, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

This 1999 Cherokee is my daily driver, which is why I wanted to keep everything covert.

Finished install yesterday. I used a Dremel to cut rectangle out the lower portion of the front side markers for the TIR3's.

The Vertex LED's in the tails are clear, Jeep lens is amber a big step-bit made install a snap, they are quite compact. The Spitfire is screwed to a piece of aluminum (stop sign, haha), which is sandwiched above the headliner, visor anchor tabs screw through it.

All is powered through a 3A fuse.

I had these laying around, gota pick up a couple amber ones.

Chitty video taken early evening:
  2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Nice job, especially with the side markers!! Do you have any pictures of the rear lenses install process? I'm considering putting some strobes in the rear lights of my '00 XJ.

3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

the vertex have some pretty impressive patterns....if you wanted more snazz...
  4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Thanks, the front marker LIN3's are simply RTV siliconed into the marker light, at first I cut only the back out, but the light did not punch through the reflector very well, so I cut through the reflector and used clear RTV where it meets. A rotary tool (aka: Dremel), with a cut-off wheel worked great for cutting the plastic out.

I also had to trim a bit of the fiberglass where the marker mounts to make room for the light behind.

Here is where I marked where to trim:

Trimmed out (this was the first try with reflective lens in place, not nearly as bright:
  5. Badgerland WI

Badgerland WI Senior Member

Nice job on the install - looks clean on the fronts.
  6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

verry nice
  7. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

take a video looks real good
  8. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I added a LIN4 to each side rear window and a Slim-miser to the rear window. Also got flush mount switches, they mount in holes slightly larger than 3/4" "Done"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  9. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Slim-miser in rear window (trimmed plastic shroud to make it straight instead of curved).

10. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Looks Good, What plow you have on it? Did you have to custom fab it to fit? I notice you dont have your lower valance on the front bumper did ya have to remove it to make the plow fit? Pics please...
  11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Thanks. Yes, I had to fab a TJ Western Suburbanite mount to fit the XJ Cherokee since a mount for that plow was never available for the Cherokee.

The bumper is an aftermarket one (original Cherokee bumper was dented), the bumper is independent of the plow mount.

12. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I should get to try them out for the first time tomorrow, 10 - 14" expected. :)
  13. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

The ones in the side markers look like LIN3s to me

But love the fab work.
  14. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

They are, my error in the title.