1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep Cherokee plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by hardtorn, Aug 28, 2009.

1. hardtorn

hardtorn Junior Member

I bought a 1996 Jeep Cherokee this summer. We use it as a 2nd vehicle. It's a 4.0 HO... automatic tranny. Runs like a top. No rust .. Sold inside and out. It was a great find.
    I would like to use it to plow my small drive as well as my mom's house.
    I have been looking at plows on ebay etc.
    I'm not really sure what plows will work on a jeep Cherokee.
    I found a few good deals. The problem is the guys selling them only can tell me...
    (It's a 71/2 foot western bought in 1988. works great pump has no leaks... came off a 1992 Dodge truck.)
    That really is not enough for me to buy a plow... not knowing if I can get a mount for a 1996 Jeep Cherokee... Is it to big for my Jeep? All that stuff.
    I need to become more educated... So here I am on this site..
    Any advice would be great.
    I don't want to spend to much... I will only be using it a little bit.
    An old plow would be fine with me.
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I have a Western Unimount mount and wiring that'll fit your Jeep. You'd still have to find a blade, but that shouldn't be hard. Let me know if you're interested.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Go to a couple dealers and see what they have/recommend. Once you get your best choices, start shopping used - I presume that is your preference.
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I know a guy with a 1987 Jeep Cherokee with a strait 6 and he has a 7.5' Meyer on it. It handles it just fine. I personaly would put a 7' on a Cherokee.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

St or Mt Snoway. A poly edged 7'6" MT or 24 series is nice. You will need to look for a used one, though there might be a dealer around with one in stock. I have one new mount left for that vehicle if you find one.
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I just went through this. A cherokee front end is too weak by itself to hold up ANY plow. You will need better springs and timbrens. You will need a trans cooler. You will need a bigger alternator!

Ok .... now what plow to use. All of the light weight plows are kind of too light to really back drag well until you look at Sno-Way with it's down pressure. Meyer offers a production DP that you can get upto 7.5'. This is the ONLY production plow on the market today for older cherokee's. ( Don't anyone bring up snoww dogg )

I went with Sno-Way .... It was a fricken nightmare to find one. I first looked at used one's for two months. The best story I had come across was; "we'll don't really know what it is ... we just kind of collect things, ;) ". So, I then looked for new ST or MT plows. The 24 is too big and you can't find it any ways. They still make production subframes and nose kits at sno-way REGARDLESS of what the book tells your dealers. But, there are no MT's and only 2 ST power packs new on the market. New ST full $3700, Used $1200 - good luck rolling the dice on used.

I did manage to get a full ST minus the lights. Fricken did I over pay given everyone know's there are only three full units available.