1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep - alternator

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kstt, Sep 29, 2004.

1. kstt

kstt Junior Member

Advise, please. '93 Jeep Wrangler 4-banger. I set it up last fall with a very old Meyers ElectroLift & 6-foot blade. No power angle. It works great except that the lift really draws down the voltmeter and lights, etc. The longer I use it, the lower and dimmer things get. I'm just plowing 4 residential driveways around 300' each with small lots. So I may be plowing an hour and a half.
    The Wrangler seems to be equipped with a standard 90 amp alternator. Some have told me that I need to upgrade that. However, I talked to a fellow that rebuilds starters, alternators, etc., for a living, and he said 90 amp is about right and "don't waste your money".
    I do not know how many amps the ElectroLift draws. I'll run a test on it and see. What experiences have you guys had?
  2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I plow a few driveways with a 1992 Wrangler and Sno-way plow (I originally had a Western). I don’t know if any alternator can keep up with a plow motor (good thing it is only on for a few seconds). After a summer of not using the Jeep the alt was frozen the first couple years I plowed (I cant believe it still works), lately I have been spraying it down with WD-40 before it sits, which seems to keep it free. I did get the biggest battery I could fit in the tray.

3. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

big power

I found this on Ebay It may help you I dont know about this company,But I do have a 120 amp Nippondenso like this that has plowed for several years with no problems it is very well built.

91-98 NEW JEEP CJ WRANGLER YJ HI OUTPUT ALTERNATOR 165A Item number: 7924400812

You are bidding on a 100% NEW, made to original equipment specification alternator, that we have wound to 165 amps.

Fits all Jeep Wrangler, CJ 2.5L and 4.0L engines.The 91-98 Jeep Cherokee equiped with 5.2L and 5.9L. The 5.9L uses a 7 groove pulley. The alternator in this auction comes with a 6 groove pulley, you can use this alternator and install your 7 groove pulley.

This alternator will drop in place of your existing 90-amp unit and operates with the existing ecm voltage regulator.

This unit will provide 55-65 amps capability at 800 rpm and 165 amps at 1600 engine rpm.

This alternator has been variable speed load tested for performance!

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

take out the stock battery and deep cycle optima battery
  5. kstt

kstt Junior Member

Yes - I was looking at the alternators at Alterstart. That exact one, but then my "expert" said, 'don't waste your money'. He DID ask if I had a deep cycle battery. Whatever that is.