1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jeep 7.5' plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by phillyplowking1, Oct 6, 2003.

1. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Do you guys think a cj-5 could handle a 7 and a half foot meyers?Or should I stick with the 6.5?
  2. apkole

apkole Member

I use a couple of CJ-7s with fiberglass bodies, 304 V8 and Turbo 400 auto. The one jeep has a 6 1/2' blade on the front. The problem I've encountered is that the jeep is so light that when the blade is angled it tends to push the front end around a bit. Depends on the snow density and depth of course.

I get spoiled driving our Cummins Dodges becuase that 1000 lbs of engine tends to "plant" the front end no matter how much snow I'm pushing.

That little jeep is a different story! We use very good open lug tires, but traction is an issue at times. May need to consider hanging farm tractor weights off the front end to maintain steering control and traction when the plow is down. Of course the power to blade width ratio is pretty good for straight pushes.

You might want to consider cutting that 7 1/2' down a foot or so for better control when plowing. Easier on the front end when transporting also.