1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

JD Dave How did I do??

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by deere615, May 14, 2012.

1. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What's that bucking at the beginning? Sounded ugly.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looked pretty good to me. My truck shifted hard like that no matter what I did. Now I start in 3rd gear and all is good. That sled is one heavy old girl.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What was your choice of gears?

Looked pretty decent to me.
  5. deere615

shift sounded fine just a rough shift on a stock tranny, I boosted it to close to 10lbs then let go
    I started it in third gear but from my understanding the truck still shifts 123 it doesnt just stay in 3rd. How do I get it to stay in 3rd?
    put it in M 3 and tow haul mode on. 4x4Low boosted to 10lbs. Never gave it full throttle at all though only half maybe a bit more going down since it was my first time.

I was only in the 4th tune on EFI live which is about 100hp over stock. Didnt want to fo to the 5th on a stock tranny
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

With the stock VGT turbo there's not much reason to boost before leaving the line, it will spool up fast if you just roll into it.

I do 4lo, Manual in 3rd. Roll into it so that at about 100' I'm WOT and stay there until the end or I start bouncing. You don't have the power to start in 3rd gear so the way you were doing it is fine.

I run mine on my big tune, 185hp over stock and the trans seems to be doing ok. Their pretty strong in the lower gears, it's 4-6 when you generally have trouble with them.
  7. deere615

Ok, how does dave start in third gear though? I might run the big tune next time or at least run the 4th and give it a little more gas. I have heard its the higher gears I have to be careful with also. I have a shift kit just havent had time to do it but probably next winter I will get the tranny built
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

His tuning is probably setup for which gear he would like to start in. There's no way you'd be able to start in 3rd anyway, you need it to shift to get moving.

I've got a trans-go jr in mine otherwise it's all stock. 105k on it and tuned for 48k of them, seems to be doing ok.
  9. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Looked decent for your first hook. The boosted launch usually helps with momentum. How much did you weigh in at? Weight is a huge advantage. Were your torrison keys all the down?

I cant wait for pulling season here!!!
  10. deere615

gotcha sounds good, I gotta get the shift kit if but I want to do a built tranny when I get time and money because there was an LBZ there with just tuning exhaust and a built tranny and he was pulling high 200s
    I weighed in at 7560 and it was an 8k class didnt have no weight to put in though. torsion keys were turned 15turns down I normally have them all the way in to fit the tires.