1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

JD 970 not running right...looking for help.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 1lowGMC, Feb 8, 2007.

1. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

I have a JD 970 with front bucket, and I love this thing. We got it almost brand new, and have not had a problem with it until this weekend. We were hauling logs out of our woods for fire wood an she ran great all day. I was doing a little trail maintenance toward the end of the day, using the back blade to clean up the trail in the woods. All of a sudden she wouldn't hold RPM's. It would rev up and down, rev up and down, over and over. I had to baby her back to the barn at about 1,500 rpm and it was still revving up and down a little. I was thinking perhaps the diesel was gelling up, but I have never had that happen so I don't know how it would act. I parked it in the barn, and haven't tried to start it yet. I might pull it into our heated barn and see if I can find anything obvious.

Cliff notes: JD 970 won't hold idle, revs up and down over and over. Gelled fuel perhaps?

2. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I doubt it would be the fuel gelling since you had been usung it all day with the engine heat ect. if it was to gell it would have happened first thing in the morning. Might be a clogged injector or maybe a bad injector pump?
    Evan

3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I have a 1070 John Deere.
    Check the fuel filter

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

My recommondation based on what you have said: If tractor is still running,go to store, buy a can of power service additive (the white bottle), add acording to directions, start and run tractor, let idle, might stall a time or two but should clear up, if tractor doesn't run, go to store, buy a can of powerservice 911 additive (red bottle), add accordingly, start and let run. Also helps to put a new fuel filter on, just remember to refill new filter before trying to start, even then,it can be a pain to restart, I think deeres system is self bleeding though so it should restart. Also, if you do the filter, put a little additive in that to before you reinstall. 98% of the time, this is the problem going of your info, especially in the winter but I've even had a bad batch of fuel in the summer and had this type of issue. Does't take much to freeze up a diesel. I treat the fuel in any diesel equipment I use on a regular basis in the winter, saves a ton of problems. This is the cheapest easiest thing to try first, as they say, k.i.s.s.,(keep it simple stupid) Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007