1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

JD 5400 with 84" front blower

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Joel B., Dec 19, 2010.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Any opinions on this rig? 60hp, cab, 4WD, Erskine 84" front blower and "reverser" trans.

What exactly is a reverser trans and how does it work?

Thank you.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The transmission on that unit allows you to go from forward to reverse without using the clutch. When you see the term "power reverser" it just means the type of transmission.

3. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

What do you plan to do with it?

4. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Clearing driveways in the winter.

5. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

I'm no expert on the situation so take this only as one man's opinion.

Assuming the front mount Erskine is run off the hydraulics, it's somewhat of a waste of a machine that big. For me, on a tractor that size I would much rather have a rear mount pto blower, preferably inverted, to better utilize the HP of the machine.

Running a hydraulic blower on that tractor isn't much different than a skid or toolcat, and you lose some agility/maneuverability besides.

That said, I'm sure it will easily get the job done blowing out driveways. FWIW I am using a toolcat with a 72" bobcat blower on the front, standard flow.

Are you looking at it locally, or is this a combo you're looking to put together on your own? Any chance you might be able to take it out for a demo at some point through this next event today/tomorrow?

6. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Thanks mnlefty.

The blower is run off the rear PTO, a gearbox sends the PTO to the front. I like the inverted blower for driveways but they aren't much good at moving piles. It's local.

Where are we going to put all this snow………and it's still December!!

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

That sounds like a kick ass rig, lets see some pics.