1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

jd 4720 for plowing small resis?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Kirby ent, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I read allot of negative things about the compact hydros.

The 4720 has 60 HP and almost 5000 lbs. If you can add 2500 pounds with blade and ballast the unit should push ok I think?
    I really like how compact they are compared to the 5000 series.
    I would like to put a horst snowwing 7-12 on it.

I have zero experience with tractors so maybe someone can help me out with experience.

2. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a 4720 as well this spring to plow out driveways at condo complexes. I put a 8 foot blade on the front, filled the tires, and added some weight on the 3 point hitch.

I guess I'm in the same boat as you I can't see why they won't push. Are you putting your blade on the loader or mounting it to the frame? Mine is on the loader, but it seems a little weak, I am gonna talk to the dealer because it seems that the loader is not fastened to the tractor properly as there is a lot of play in the loader arms.

Hopefully someone will chime in and enlighten us.

3. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I used a 4720 for years to plow a huge (15 acre) truck stop. I used the loader and bucket from deere and put a 8 ft. Landpride blade on the back. Used ag tired with weight on the back. It worked just fine. It is very quick and mobile. Those are very nice tractors to run.

4. johndeereguy

from Iowa

There are pics on here of my setup as well

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How long does it take to plow 15 acres with a 8' rear blade? 15 hours :dizzy:

6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

If youre doing small residentials, you should have no problems. We've got a 4310 setup with a custom mount front blade & pull box on the 3pt hitch. It only comes out for larger storms and it couldnt make our lives easier. Machine has no problem moving heavy snow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. johndeereguy

from Iowa

I could do it in less if there was not hundreds of trucks in and out, and we start as soon as the snow does. If I was to do it start to finish one time, without trucks nbothering me to much I could do it in 10, but now I use a JD 5525 with a 9 ft. blade

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think Peterbilt has that same tractor.

You should ask him.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have a 4520. Its not a Horsepower issue with these smaller tractors, its thier weight. I have mine set up with R4 tires, 2 wheel weights on each side, an 8ft Landpride rear blade, and an assortment of buckets and boxes for the front.

I have found that I will spin out way before I loose any power.

I ran the tractor with one of my 10ft arctics last season a couple times. It handled it fine as far as pushing goes, but the loader arms are a bit weak (400CX) for any real heavy pushing or lifting. They will twist and flex while you lift the box. I was also affraid that the front axle was under to much weight while driving it from site to site.

This season I am going to set it up a bit different than the last 2 seasons.

1, I am going to put fluid in the rear tires
    2, I am going to have a large weight box built for the 3pt and not run a rear blade anymore.

I was amased at how this tractor handled the arctic. I ran it in a 5" fluff snow last January and after running this machine in every snow the previous season I was just shocked at how much snow I could actually push. With the Arctic I could run in C range the whole time, with a bucket or standard styled box I was only able to run in B. The slower you go, the more likely a spin out.

The down side to these tractors is lifting and crowding ability. It seems like when you hit the pile to push up, you always have to back up a bit while lifting, then roll foward again. I dont know if its just the bigger buckets or what, but it get annoying sometimes. The Deere loader is also very weak (400CX). It will twist and flex quite a bit. The loader also seems to bounce around when you drive it anywhere and it will twist to the right everytime we lift anything with it. Its been to my Deere dealer many times because of this. Never been any fix for it I might add. I also dont like the learning curve. I grew up plowing with tractors set up like mine. But not everyone has. So training someone how to operate the machine while watching the bucket, the rear blade, and the lot takes some time to teach. Only my top guys will get to run the tractors.

On the plus side. The cabs are super nice, they go down the road pretty quick, you can plow ANY sized lot with them, They aren't to bad on fuel and they are easy to store in a small area.

IMO that Horst is a nice plow, but I think it migh be to heavy for the front axle of the 4000 series. I would look at a smaller 5003 series. They are priced about the same and have a shuttle shift in them as well. I Have a 5083E on order for this season just for the down sided reasons that I had with the 4520 last season. If you are set on the horst, I would look into not using the Deere loader, get a horst mount made up for it. That Horst might snap or tweek the Deere loader arms.

J.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

the problem with compact tractors isn't really the loader (although ag tractor loader arms are weak, and the compacts are the weakest/smallest)
    or even the weight. (load your rear tires)

the real problem with compacts is that they cost too much to run.

Over the last 2 years, I've have those 3 tractors below. The TC45 is the 45 hp cab tractor from NH. Compact. (6' wide, weighs about 5500lbs with loader and rear tires loaded). Probably similar to what you are considering. The L185 has had pretty much zero work on it (few hours) so you can ignore it. The TN75 is a utility, which is a bigger tractor (next step up from compacts, I believe in JD it's the 5000 series, but I don't understand the JD nomenclature).

The TC45 will lift 1650lbs (exactly), the TN75 will lift well over 2500lbs. But the TC is a hydrostat, it's very fast to do loader work and it has a fast loader.

TC45 engine oil interval: 150 hours
    TN75 engine oil interval: 300 hours.

TC45 hydraulic oil interval: 300 hours
    TN75 hydraulic oil interval: 1200 hours.

etc, etc, etc,

I just ran my numbers. These are the real numbers from my business. Some is snow removal, most isn't. There are a few costs in there for the L185, and a few for the previous MF I had, but basically inconsequential.
    Both the TC and the TN have 600+ hours on them over the last 2 years. (within 50 hours, close enough).

TC: maintenance and parts: 65% of my total tractor maintenance
    TN: maintenance and parts: 30% of my total tractor maintenance.

Both tractors have been relatively trouble free, this is mostly maintenance and some stuff breaking (on both, so it's still a fair comparison). Does not include tires. (which the TC breaks way more of than the TN, for reasons unknown).

WAY more expensive per hour to run a compact tractor than a utility. Even after the 20% higher initial cost of the utility is considered. For normal homeowners, this isn't a problem, they don't put any hours on. For commercial it's a problem. In some situations (like mine), you simply need the small size to make it work and you just eat the maintenance. But for driveways, stepping up one size to a utility will lower your overall operating costs.

The TN is 7' wide BTW, but you won't find hydrostat at the utility tractor level. (although you will find powershuttles (like a backhoe).

HTH

11. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I will be going with the carrier from horst no matter if I go with JD4720 or 5093E.
    I really want to go with the compact but for size only. The lower end 5000 series tractors are basically the same price.
    Peterbilt: How much does the 10 foot pusher weigh? The Horst blade with carrier is going to be around 1800 lbs. My concern is how will the JD4720 handle the blade with the small front end and such small wheels?

The JD 4720 with 1800 lbs on the front and 1000 lbs of balllast on the wheels and 3 point brings total weight to 7150lbs. Seems like it would do?
    Just wish JD offered bigger tires.
    Thanks for the help guys.

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The Artic weighs about the same. But on the deere loader arms you can just watch the box bounce, and it worries me about the weight on the axle.

If you do it. Get R4 industrial tires. They are skidloader tires. They are quite a bit tougher than a standard tire.

J.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never really cared about the price of oil and filters, always thought they were cheap insurance. We change all of our engine oil at 150 hours or less and Deere reccomends min 300. Can't comment on a 4720 because I have never ran one.

14. LoneCowboy

just a FYI because I realize you aren't seeing that and think it's $100 worth of oil and filters.

My total tractor maintenance over the last 2 years was $12,000.

65% of that went to the compact tractor.

That's about 600 hours worth of use.

And doesn't include tires or registration.

Figure $30/hour to run a tractor as a good round number. But it's the same number as you go to bigger tractors (maintenance goes down, initial price goes up), although the bigger tractors are quite a bit more productive so they run less time to do the same job.

15. LoneCowboy

I doubt the 4720 is going to handle 1800lbs on the front end. My neighbor has the 55hp JD compact (I dunno the model number, 4xxx) and it lifts less than my 45hp NH. It can lift, exactly 1500lbs of fertilizer. (the NH TC45 will lift 1650)

So, whichever, it will be right on the limit if it's 1800lbs. Ag tractor loaders are weak. They aren't really designed to dig, they are designed to move mulch/manure/bedding and loose materials. (think farmer).

it's not the wheels/tires that break from overloading the front end, it's the axle/transaxle that breaks. (big bucks)

We use our compact for snow removal with a 6' high volume 2/3yard bucket and it works great. We could probably go a little bigger, but not much IMO. a 6' or 7' plow would be perfect. a 10' pusher seems ridiculous. I've got an 8' plow with wings on the TN (so figure 9.5' wide) and sometimes it gives it all it can handle. (and I wish I had bought a box for the TN ). But a 10' box on the TN would be right at the upper limit for it I think and the TN is a much bigger tractor than the 4720 you are looking at.

16. LoneCowboy

My neighbor has a 4520 (3 years old or so?) with a 400X loader (he's out playing today, I checked

I can guarantee you it will only lift 1500lbs of fertilizer.

17. LoneCowboy

My neighbor has a 4520 (3 years old or so?) with a 400X loader (he's out playing today, I checked

I can guarantee you it will only lift 1500lbs of fertilizer.

so hanging 1800lbs off that would be all it could handle.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, my total maintenance costs for 10 tractors, a skid and a combine will be lucky to be that much/year. Just an FYI.

19. leon

leon Senior Member

tractor plows etc.

Is a Degelman ice breaker something you could consider? fThe unit has folding wings and lower weight as is described on their web page.

:sleeping::drinkup::waving::drinkup:

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If I understand correctly, He is talking about putting it on a harness like JD has on his tractors, which is a completely different animal than a loader.

I was going to say the same thing.