1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

JCB Skidsteer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by motoxguy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

I have never used a jcb skidsteer and was tossing up the idea of leasing there new 280s 2 speed model and using a 8ft pusher on it for the winter, does anyone have any thoughts to weather this is a good machine or are these machines full of problems?

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I have always heard to stay away from JCb skid loaders but I have never even sat in one so its just what I have been told.

3. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Skid steer

I have a Gehl 7810E and a CTL 85, plenty of power. Both use 10' boxes and have no problem pushing them.
  4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I wouldnt...
  5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Their Robots with the single boom and side entry are certainly interesting. I would definitely want to demo it before I dropped any money on one.
  6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

is that your bobcat ? who makes that attachment its super interesting
  7. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

I thought about one, but they had no info. on them

prior to our decesion of what to lease. We have used the Robot in the past, it is a neat machine!
  8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

You are just pushing snow, I don't see a problem using one. If the dealer is close and offers a good price with great service, then get one. They seem to be a little more tippy than some other brands. As for reliability, Jcb's have been around for some time, so if the only complaint is the odd look or some other minor issue, lease it for snow and see what you think.
  9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We run JCB loaders and backhoes and have for a number of years now with very little or no issues...JCB has market share in Europe,

My dealer refuses to even give me pricing on a JCB skidsteer or a tracked version-he's been selling JCB his entire life so I tend to take his opinion for what its worth.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Yes thats my bobcat and me running it we actually worked 1.5 years developing that machine with Hahn. If you have any interest we can sell them. thanks
  11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Have seen the JCB machines in use, can't say i was that impressed, i don't think they were half as manuverable as a true skid steer, but they seem adequate
  12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I have used them the side door is ok.. but you sacrifice having two tams for lift and bucket... I don't like that idea puts the machine some what off balance and hard on machine lifting from one side..."I think"

Used one with snow bucket on ... Big load of material will tip you over forward..... Not good ...

Just my opinion.. (operator)..
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  13. svh19044

svh19044 Junior Member

To the OP, the S280 is a nice little VERSATILE machine. I highly debated getting one, but opted for the enclosed cab 170 Robot that I could get in time for winter (a couple of years ago) and enjoy more maneuverability instead.

It is slightly low on power for what it is, and it's not much weight to dig in if you plan on using a big snow box.

Machine sizes being equal, lifting capablity and power is often equal (or the JCB is ahead of quite a few manufacturers when comparing equal size machines).

As far as a "big load of material will tip you over forward", if there is not enough counterweight and more than enough power, it will happen to any machine. I don't know why the JCB is singled out. If you are implying more likely to tip to a side, well that's absurd.

I work around a lot of chemical towers and the visibility and maneuverability that the JCB Robot provides is bar none, better than any other skid steer out there. You gain 100000%+ visibility on the left door side, 100% visibility in the rear, and since the arm sits lower than just about any other skidsteer out there, you gain 100% visibility on the right arm side.

The controls are silky smooth and my machine has been 100% trouble free through 4 seasons. The amount of mistruths or flat out false statements about JCB is mind-boggling to me. JCB is the 3rd largest equipment company in the world, no reason to not understand their company, as well as their superb reliability track record.

I know this doesn't help with the OP's request for info on the S280, but I wanted to clear up some confusion.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  14. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

That machine looks slick. I've always been intrigued by them and it seems like they have pretty good pricing.
  15. svh19044

svh19044 Junior Member

I bought in 2007, and pricing was incredible (24,xxx OTD, brand new 2 hour machine). A similar (enclosed heat, self leveling, float) CAT 226 was $38,xxx at the dealer, with less warranty, and IMO way less smooth controls.
  16. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Damn! You can't beat that price. I would really consider one for our next machine but I don't think there are any dealers near me. I'll have to check into it.
  17. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

yea we ended up signing the lease for it today so i guess we will find out how good it is, but Advantage not sure where you are in wi but there are 2 dealers right in milwaukee if you would be interested in one.
  18. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm many hours north. You should definitely give us all a review on how it works for you.
  19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

They are all nice when NEW...Give them a couple of years uses see how well they hold up always lifting from one side....
    Make your choice and live with it ....
    They are cheap to buy..Trying to get a bigger market share...

There Big loaders are not bad... It's this little skid that I don't think is good....
    30 + yrs. operating
  20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Kinda like hiniker right.... LOL