1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

January 1 and its 60 degrees and still no snow in sight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turfmower, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

There will be a lot of cheap slightly used plow equipment for sale come spring. And hopefully a few going out of business low ballers.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

if somebody went out and bought equipment soley basing that they would make enough money to pay it off this season is crazy. you cant do that in new england cause you will get burned. they almost deserve to have to sell it. i still think the rest of the season may get quite active. time will tell.

3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

yea in the 40's and 50's here, raining off and on.....even got out the road bike and took it for a cruise friday, 55 degrees, had the leather coat unzipped, felt great......but i would rather have lots of snow. :drinkup:

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

35 degrees and raining like hell here. :angry:

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Its been warm for a few days, still plenty of snow around. Ive done enough plowing to hold me over for another snowless week or so, after that i will want more. Ive been out 3 times total this year, 2 were good storms. Ive payed for the 7' plow i bought most recently with plowing money from this season. We could have (should have) had more snow by now but iam happy, i hope we get alot more the rest of the winter.

6. PLANET

PLANET Member

This week looks snow free also :nod: . Oh well, Global warming :yow!: .

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Latest forcast for CT. snow,sleet,and freezing rain Tues night-Thurs morning :dizzy:

8. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

it`s going to be in the 50`s here on monday so looks like wheregoing to landscape and lay sod on monday :)

9. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

Really?

Really? It might change to snow, who knows? Been out once this year, strictly residential.

10. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

Up here in maine it is chilly and not snowing the way I'm used to.
    Wife said there is grass surviving year round in the arctic now. More thanks to global warming I bet.

11. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

yes where going to get a head for the spring this year we seed and sodded about 450 homes,and probably seeded a 5 million sq feet of open space seeding so now im getting a jump on spring

12. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I feel your pain

I talked to my dad the other day, he thinks it's El Nino, or some warm water running off the coast of somewhere, any of you guys heard that? He hangs out with all farmers so I don't trust his prognostications.

I'm thinking about hiring some people to try a snow dance. We plowed twice for real, begining of december, and I've gone out with the mag trucks 4 or 5 times, I did about half of the route today, the ones that won't get sun. Last four days it's been teasing me, dropping about 1/2 to an inch a night. I get riled and get up at 2 to check outside, only to see stars after the clouds take off. Grumble grumble.:angry: Today I pushed my biggest pile yet with my new blizzard, it was about 50 feet long and 18" high. A real monster.

02-03, we made squat. barely enough to keep us alive. 03-04, snowed like crazy, but not until January. Went through about 4000 gallons of the mag chloride. Didn't plow seriously until 12/27 last year. This year, minimal in December, hoping for a big January. But I learned my lesson two years ago, and now we go into the winter with a little more money tucked away.

I hope you all have a great year. (Maybe spreading the karma will help.)

13. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Yeah, I doubt it. The low-ballers have less invested since they don't pay taxes and or carry insurance. So at the end of the season, who will have lost more money, them or a legitimate company?

48 degrees today and rained like an SOB last night. Haven't pushed one inch of snow yet this year.

14. PLANET

PLANET Member

Maybee a little something midweek would be nice. 50% chance is better than 0. Beggers cant be choosie.

15. alittle1

alittle1 Member

Turfmower

A pessimist would think, no snow.

An optimist would think about painting lawn green.

I like Lawncare PA thoughts about getting ahead on seeding and sodding.