1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

jammed salt hopper-help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Kathy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Kathy

Kathy Junior Member
    from 45247

jammed salt hopper-help-clumping salt

Any suggestions on how to prevent the salt my V box (gas engine)from clumping up? Right now I have one of my men shoveling one of them completely empty of salt. The other one is one the way back to the shop jammed too. We can hear the motors running but no salt is coming out. We have heavy sleet and rain predicted for the next several hours followed by snow. We have them tarped but there is still a lot of moisture in the air. Anything that can be added or sprayed on the might help?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

post make and model of spreader. electric motor or gas engine?

3. Whitey

Whitey Member

Are they steel boxes with steel conveyors in the bottom? I have had luck with a big torch heating up the bottom or if iI am on site I keep fire starter logs in the truck to place under the box after about ten minutes they break loose.

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

BFH works good from inside box if little or no salt and sttel box

5. Kathy

Kathy Junior Member
    from 45247

clarification

I think I asked the question improperly. Hopefully this is clearer.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you dumping right into the hopper? Is there a screen on top to break up the lumps?

7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ahh I see now, nothing that I am aware of. best advise I can give is leave them empty if you can, load right before you leave and drive on salt to break up as best you can before loading. You can tarp the sander if its empty to keep snow/rain out . Keep your bult pile tarped as well.

8. Kathy

Kathy Junior Member
    from 45247

We have a screen. We are looking for a product or additive. We understand there is some chemical that can be ordered from Colorado. We want to find somethng we can get locally.

9. no lead

does the lower chain move? the one in the bottom? does the spinner move?
    45247 helps us none. were are you.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Soak it down with Fluid Film.

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

45247 would be Cincy Ohio there kip.

I'm guessing they pre loaded the spreaders or didnt finish emptying them out after the last run and let them sit and now have a salt block in the shape of a v-box spreader going.

12. no lead

aaww jeez crash, your so geographically intelligent. the salt block was my next question.

the dream team rides again eh?

13. Kathy

Kathy Junior Member
    from 45247

Sorry, I am new to this. We are in Cincinnati. I can't find any Fluid film dealers in the area. Any other suggestions? All parts of the V Box are working. The jam is occuring after we have done some spreading, not as we start. There is so much ice and freezing rain now that one of our plastic huts is coming down. Just a tremedous amount of moisture. Thanks for all your suggestions.

14. Crash935

Its just that i have to right down the city state and zip for all the freight i pick up, getting good at remembering areas.

And im not riding anywhere with you, ive seen you drive!!!!

15. Crash935

Are you running a inverted V in the spreaders?

16. no lead

sound like it is clumping up. is the salt rock hard clumps? if not how is the tension on the belly chain? is the clutch slipping on the drive chain?

17. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I remember reading here once how some guys dumped a bunch of windshield washer fluid in there when it froze up.

18. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I second this guess. Been there done that. You can not leave salt in a hopper or you end up with a big chunk.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When you say clumping is the shoot bunging up? Or is everything turning and nothing coming out? You need to explain better? Tarped salt will go hard in a V Box if left outside for more then a day, even faster when very cold and salt is wet.

20. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Sounds Like The Material Was Allowed to Get To Wet.The Bigger Municipal Spreaders Use Vibrators on The Box But They are Not cheap.I Think That The Material Quality or storage is The Issue.