1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jack Stand broken

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BigDave12768, Feb 3, 2009.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

When i went to hook up my plow I noticed that the lower jack stand support holder part had broken. Its just that lower part that keeps its straight. I just cant believe how flimsy the set up is now. My old mm1 had this tube piece it went through and braced off another bar. it really was a heav duty set up. I always lift the jack all the way up. It must have broke when I went to push a pile that was just to much and plow went up and I wen over pile. The jack stand is kinda bananna shaped now. So just needs a jack stand and a weld job. I just cant believe how flimsy the new set up is. Why doesnt it look like this anymore. Now that is some support and you can see that it bent the bar a bit too. So seem they need the support

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's usually a result of not having the jack retracted all the way otherwise you must have dropped onto an ice bank in the pile pretty hard..

That Is a MM1, it's not new (looks just like mine, except your has fewer holes rusted in the moldboard...)
    Thin about it like this- that little jack leg isn't going to provide much resistance against a boulder or wall if a truck was pushing just that would it? Same thing if it hits the ice bank (or something in the ice bank...)
    The jack is supposed to be high enough no to hit anything. Are you sure there wasn't something in that snowbank?
  3. BigDave12768

I thought about the same thing last night as I was hitting old snow banks pushing up. I always lift it all the way up. i learned that the hard way once. The photo is not my old plow. I was my buddie Scotts. But I didnt have leg far enough up. I was in a new lot and pushed up on to a curd that i didnot know was under snow bank. It caught the leg and sent the top the jack into the pump. The pump cracked off. That piece on bottom didnt break first like it was suppose to. So I took I chunk out of bottom of pump. Luckly I didnt break enough off the tank so that it was leaking. But it broke off the bolt hole. So I had it welded/filled with aluminum then had to take it to a machine shop and have it Heli arc for a new bolt hole. Not the most expensive repair. but I lost part of a storm. Luckly guy I sub for had a spare pump. Then after I get all work done just before a storm I put my pump back at his shop. So he had a back up for storm and I would change mine out after storm. well 2 days later when I wanted to change it over. Someone else needed a pump so I never saw it again.
  4. BigDave12768

Here is what I broke. The jack stand is also a bit tweaked. The stands up but its a bit wobly and will go over easier than it should, Looks to me like its repair job, The backet that broke seems to be part of head gear and cant be replaced. As for the stand its not that bad and can be straightened out. So I figure weld and straighten and repaint it

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you'll find a brand new one is about $40. Just replace it. I did mine last year, had only plowed about six times.