1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Jack size?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Aug 14, 2011.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    in the market for a floor jack......will a 4 ton jack be capable of lifting a 28,000gvwr dump truck and maybe one side of a track machine for a track swap?............ my 3 ton is a POS
    Steve

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

A 4 ton floor jack will not get the machine up off the ground enough to change the track. I have to use another machine to lift the rear of the skid steer to get it high enough to allow slack in the track. Also, the 4 ton jack may lift the truck, but I am not going to be getting under it. Just go get a couple of bottle jacks. You can get bottle air jacks o just regular hand pump syle for cheap. And they will lift 20 tons. I do it all the time with my big trucks.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

The key here is "don't go cheap!!!" buy a decent jack, you are going to pay for it, but then you don't need to worry about it failing on you. And please make sure you are working with a heavy duty jack stand or decent wood blocks.

4. xtreem3d

Thanks for the replies and the warnings to be safe......much appreciated
    Steve

5. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

When using a jack, always remember what Confucius says " Man with no use for jack stand, soon become one "

6. xtreem3d

now that's funny :laughing: