1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

J.Thomas U-blade prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by battags, Nov 7, 2004.

1. battags

battags Member

I'm thinking of replacing my steel cutting blade with a new polyurethane edge. In doing a search of pros vs. cons several mentioned the $$$ of a U-blade as being the main reason to not purchase one.

What I don't understand is that J.Thomas has advertised a 7.5'x1"x6" cutting edge for $89.99 and the comparable size rubber edge would be $138.00. Steel goes for $52.00. Have prices for U-blades come down? I'd be willing to pay that much for a U-blade if all the benifits that I have heard are true.

Am I missing something?

Brian

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you might want to put a 1 infront of that $89 because if they are selling 7½' edges for <$100 I will clean them out, hell that is below cost for a superior edge if you take 25 of the same size :rolleyes:

and YES every benifit you heard is true :nod:
    Nate~

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

That is an unreal price Brian.
    You need to call them and find out if it's correct, and ask what the hardness rating is.
    One of my FallLine poly 96"x6"x1" edges would be around $190.00 to your door.
    Their steel edge prices are very good too with what steel prices are.
    Most of what you have read is correct as far as the performance of the edges.
    :rolleyes: John............................

4. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

Be sure you're getting polyurethane. It's very possible that what you are being quoted is polyethylene, which is plastic. Quite honestly, it's probably not a bad product, but not exactly what you're looking for.

5. battags

battags Member

It's Polyurethane. I got it the other day and installed it. Keep in mind that I've never had one before, so I'm not sure if this thing looks right. I'll post some pics tomorrow to show you guys.

Brian

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

so you bought a urethane edge for $90? got a item number?

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I was just looking in J-Thomas's master catalog and it does say polyurethane edges for 7.5' plows 89.99 and 9' plow edges going for 104.99 . Says they are 1" thick is that the normal thickness?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  8. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

Urethane edges can be made in any thickness you would like. I would recommend 1.5" for most applications.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

So whats the normal, what does everyone run for thickness on their U-edges?

10. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

Fojr most contractor applications, 6' up to 9', most contractors use 1.5" You can get away with 1.5" on bigger plows, and some guys do, but 2" is the norm at 10' and bigger.

By the way, I have an article being published in an upcoming edition of Snow Business that gets into the different poly's used in the industry. If J Thomas has a good product that they stand behind, they would share the material properties with you. You should be looking for something with a durometer of 85 -92, but any harder would be too. That's about the only detail I want to get into here because it'll ruin my article, but if you have other questions give me a call.

800-289-1456 ext. 129

11. battags

battags Member

What, you didn't believe me? :)

Still working on those pic's for you guys.

Brian

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I just had to see for myself. :)
    I thought maybe that was a sale price but I guess not, just a good deal.