1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I've Got More Accounts, Need More Subcontractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JerryA31, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JerryA31

JerryA31 Junior Member

Hey guys, I am lucky enough to say I have gotten more accounts than I had expected for the upcoming season and now my seesaw is tilted and I need more subcontractors. It's always you have either too much work or not enough. If I can find some help I can probably still pick up even more properties but I'm not going after more until I have covered my signed contracts.

I need some ideas on how you find new subcontractors to help you out in your area. I need to expand by at least 15 plow trucks I think to make sure I can complete the work this winter. I need plow trucks and hand shovelers.

2. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

What area do you live in? We usually use word of mouth or other contractors in the area. I have seen ads on here under employment and on craigslist. Trying posting in Employment on here and see if that generates anything for you.

3. JerryA31

JerryA31 Junior Member

I live about 45 minutes from St. Louis and have accounts 20 minutes west of me all the way to the Illinois border. I've contacted all my drivers and relatives, neighbors and friends. I have some flyers out and craigslist has been of some help in the past. I guess I'm just wanting to make sure everything is covered so I can get some more accounts. Thanks!

4. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Newspaper Ads.....Is there a Landscape trade association in you area....If so, join and network to find subcontactors.....Concrete companys and construction companys are a good source of sub-contractors....

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

General employment classified ads should work. I have gained jobs as a subcontractor this way. Some have even put them in the "Tires & Parts" section. I have answered them also.Call and commit the guys early when the storm is coming. I work for a few guys. If you give me decent amount of hours each event I will be available to them.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  6. JerryA31

JerryA31 Junior Member

Thanks guys. I do network with a lot of landscape companies and they commit their equipment to me in the winters plus they then get my shovelers too. I've gotten the concrete, pool and construction guys and they haven't let me down. Winter is their slow or OFF season anyway and money is always nice. Flyers in bars, on trucks, churches and colleges have also gotten me help... you just never know.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Also might think about raising your pricing after you have enough jobs to handle yourself.Some "experts" feel that if your landing more than 20% of your bids your pricing is too low. If you have the hassle of dealing with all these subs you should be making a killing!

8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Really simple - SIMA search the contractors on there for your area

9. calikid79

calikid79 Junior Member
    from Mo