1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I've got a question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by B&E snowplowing, Mar 13, 2007.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

I have a chance of picking up a 1991 GMC 2500. The truck is in EXCELLENT condition. It has been well taken care of. The problem is, it only a 2WD. My question is.... Do you think it will work as a plow truck since it is only a 2WD. The current owner, (who has owned it since new) has added extra springs in the back, so he could put his slide in camper on the truck.

My plan was,since the rear end was beefed up, I was going to put my eight foot salter in the back of it. Once I have the salter in the bed, full of salt (apx 1 ton) will this truck be able to push snow. I would be putting my extra 8' steel blade western on it.

What do you think ? Am I waisting my time ?

I have worked out a deal to trade my 1994 snowmobile for the truck, since I haven't used the snowmobile for the past two years.

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

the truck will work ok when the salter is full of salt but when the salt run out you will be wishin you had 4wd. i wouldnt buy the truck if i was you

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If this is not your main truck and you do all your plowing before you start to salt you should be OK. You get a lot more snow then we do so you will have to plow with the storms. Also the driver is going to be a little bling with that salter in the back. If you need the truck for salting then throw the plow on and see how you make out. If you are buying it for a primary plow truck then I would pass.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would pass on it considering its 2WD.:salute:

5. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Trade it!

B&E, Hell, Go for it. I plowed with a 2wd S-10 p/u. If your going to drive it yourself, with a good set of snow tires ( and maybe a set of tire chains just in-case ) I don't see anything
    wrong with it. Yes I had to chain-up the S-10 every now and then but it did the job. For parking lots or flat driveways you should be alright. Thats my 2.5 cents!! Hippy.

6. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

No this is not my primary truck. I plan on having my supervisor drive this truck to do salting only, and possibly the odd lot in case we have a breakdown or something like that.

Now what do you think, since it willnot be theprimary truck

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My answer would be no. I try plowing in 2wd and most of the time it just doesnt work. A blade full of snow weighs alot. You're much better off with a 4wd.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, it will not work. This issue has been hashed and rehashed many times. There are times you can plow in 2wd and times you will need 4wd. If you have 4wd but don't need it, you'll do fine. But if you don't have 4wd and need it, you will be SOL.

Think about it, if plowing in 2wd was ok, more would be doing it. After all, 4wd costs a lot more than 2wd trucks.

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

my answer is: if you already have the truck try it. if your thinking about buying it, don't do it.

10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I wouldn't take the chance. People tend to get impatient on us plowers, in maybe 2-3 inches it will do you fine, but when you get that thick heavy white icy stuff. you're not gonna be able to depend on it. JMO