1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It's time my truck payed for itself

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by headviking, Oct 26, 2010.

1. headviking

headviking Junior Member

Like my post states, it's time it payed for itself. I have a 2007 F250 4X4 long box crew cab, diesel. I've kept it from hard work all it's like. I think it's it's old enough to work this coming winter.
    I am totally new to snow plowing and would like some advise on what fits best for my truck. I am looking to plow drives in my area. Mostly two car driveways around here. Some as deep as three cars long.
    Keep in mind I have a full time job that requires me to work shift work (7:00am to 2:00pm - 5:00pm to midnight).
    Hoping to buy used.
    What should I be looking to buy for my F250?
    How do I know what mounts fit my truck?
    How do I match plows to mounts? Are the manufacture specific?
    I know a person who plows in the winter on his own should I approach him about employment with my truck?

Any help from you plow heads would help alot.
  2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

my advise and most people on this site will to be work for somebody else for at least 1 year to get a general idea of what your getting into. Plows are expensive, front end parts are expensive, insurence and taxes are expensive. Plus with your work schedule you will not be able to effectively service your clients on a regular basis. {you have to sleep sometime}
  3. headviking

headviking Junior Member

Ya I know but I sure would like this truck working. I only use it to and from work (daily drive). In the summer I drive down to NC or SC on holidays. In the winter I go skiing in VT. That's the only thing this truck does.
    The truck was made to work. I think I'me neglecting it by babying it.
  4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

sounds like the better alternative would be to trade the truck in for a practical commutor car. it seems like you have no real reason to own an expensive, gas guzzling truck.

i wouldn't recommend throwing a plow on it to justify its purchase - especially to someone with no plowing experience. now if you already had a client base and knew the industry, that wouild make some sense, but with your shift times, i don't see how even an experienced person could make it worth their while.

that's my honest opinion.
  5. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

if you want to know which plows and mounts work for your truck go to the plow manufactures web site and use the eMatch. It will tell you all part numbers you need vehicle specific.

FYI you won't have any paying customers if it's snowing and your at work, they'll use someone that is reliable.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

plowing snow is a full time job. you need to be available 24/7
    unless you have very forgiving customers that dont care when their drives get plowed
  7. agustofson

agustofson Junior Member

WOW, this is the last thing i would expect on this site. You must drive a Prius. If a guy wants to own and drive a nice truck, go for it.
    -ask your friend what he uses and try and get in with him. he can help you out with the the work, and help you out with the plow if your using what he does. people are willing to help, just ask
  8. linckeil

from CT

is the prius thing a knock? i don't drive one, but i sure as hell wouldn't mind driving a car with that kind of fuel economy. he asked for opinions and i gave mine. nothing wrong with owning a nice truck. mine gets 11mpg's on a good day but if it didn't make me money, i wouldn't own it. if it was my primary mode of transportation i used for nothing more than a commutor car i'd be giving 3 times the amount of money i already do to the oil companies. if you're the type of guy that needs to drive a big, bad truck everywhere you go, then so be it. so long as you can justify fuel economy in the low teens versus a commutor car that can serve the same purpose at 30mpg's.
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I bet his truck doesn't guzzle any gas. :rolleyes:
  10. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I am betting on your side cretebaby...
  11. linckeil

from CT

valid point, but it still doesn't change my advise.:nono:
  12. cretebaby

Nor my opinion of your opinion. ;)
  13. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

I have the same opinion of your opinion as Crete's opinion:nod:
  14. linckeil

from CT

and what was your opinion? :confused:
  15. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

children children:nono::nono:
  16. peterng

peterng Senior Member

The trucks only move when they need to. Otherwise I can't get over the economy of our 97 corolla, 35mpg. $2.50 to drive to town and back. $5 in the toyota pickup, $5 in the subaru forester, $7-8 in the ford f150 7700. 2 primary drivers. do the math for a year or 2.

It's not what you make, it's what you save.

I wouldn't have either of those trucks if they weren't needed for work, both have their place.
  17. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Either do the job in full, or don't do it at all. Just get the license and get the insurance to be able to do this business. Remember, personal auto isn't going to cover yourself if you are plowing for any kind of currency. Just pay to play, or else no one will help you, and people on this site will be all over you.

That being said..... See which plow dealers are closest to you, and post 'em up. We will help you get the right stuff. even if you are buying used you will need to know what dealer will get parts and help you.
  18. cretebaby

Ohhhh.....Nevermind LOL