1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It's Time For a New Rig!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JPMAKO, Mar 26, 2005.

1. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I have been plowing in my 1989 ford f-250 for about 8 years now, I am thinking of buying a newer truck soon. I am looking at like a 2002- 2004 GMC Ex-Cab Short bed. I would not buy another gasser so I am looking into the Duramax. I will be putting a 8' fisher on it and it will mostly be used for Plowing and pulling my landscape trailer around.
    Anyone that has a similar truck I would appreciate any comments/ Feedback. What should I look forward to as far as problems???

Thanks,
    Jason

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I will most likely buy a similar truck to the one you discribe next time also. A few of my friends plow with them and say they are great. The only thing they complain about is how slow it is in reverse. If you are doing a lot of commercial then backing up might be an issue. Besides that they are great.

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

My sidekick runs an 05 Duramax. He got it midseason this year, it does rev the begeezzas out of you in reverse but it has NOT slowed down his plowing. I ran the truck in one lot and it does rev up in reverse. But not enough to slow you down. I will say he cant go 30mph like I can in reverse but I just do that when Im showing off :)

Todd

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Why are you jumping the FORD ship? Buy a PowerStroke and be done with it!
    I drive them daily and have never had one die under me yet.
    I could go on and on about the transmissions though!

5. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Me too and that is part of the reason for the switch.
    I have one 1989 ford f-250 5 speed (Trans had to be replaced at 40,000 mi)
    1997 f-250 powerstroke (Trans replaced twice and it still is not right)

Plus I know a few people that have the 05 6.0 diesel's with auto tranny's and there trucks have been tied up for approx 3mos. I cannot afford to buy a $50,000 and have it sit at the dealership for even two weeks let alone three mos.

Jason

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Gee what good does an engine do you if the transmission is junk? :confused:
    The new 6 Liter powerjoke has crappy injectors that cause engine fires so its nothing to be all proud about.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  7. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

try one of these

:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

8. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

here is my new

i love get one :gunsfiring:

sweet.JPG

sweet1.JPG

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Wander around here www.dieselplace.com and you can talk to some guys that run similar rigs.

A few know problems with the duramax are a NSBU switch on the trans, it gets mosture in it and it goes flakey. There is a revised switch. The thing is a 50$ part, can be done under the truck in no time flat in a parking lot and is covered under the 100K emmision warantee

Another known problem is early duramax injectors. There is a new revised injector and the injectors have been given a 200k warantee(rest of the motor is 100k)

I love my duramax allison combo and the rest of my Chevy truck!

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Jason
    I work for GM Truck Assy in Pontiac Mi. I can get you a supplier discount which should save you a extra 1-2 Grand if my info is correct. I only get two per month to give away. If you have any interest send me a Pm or a email to Mikesnowplowing@aol.com I get nothing from GM for this, only that it helps my plant keep working. I have given between 20-30 of these away in the last year. I will need 4 thing's from you

1- Buyers Name
    2- Buyers valid email address
    3- Buyers Date of Birth
    4- Buyers Last Four numbers of your Social Security number (never ever give your full SS#) After I turn this info in to www.gmfamilyfirst.com you will get a email from GM with a number to give to your dealer to get this discount. The discount is good for 6 months I believe.

Good Luck Mike

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

As far as transmissions go they are all junk! Look at a Transmission shops parking lot,they will have all the brands sitting there! The last big wet snow storm we had when my tranny died,they had all the brands sitting waiting for a rebuild! My Ford c-6 went 4years 50k before it died.

12. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

FLY..Its GREAT you can still get that discount for folks !
    My crew is classified as Delco/Delphi and we can't do that
    deal for folks anymore just family members !

Gotta keep those lines moving.....And my 04 Chevy
    assembled in the Pontiac plant has worked hard and been
    troublefree to boot !

Jason don't forget........If you do the GM supplier deal you will
    NOT have to pay the advertising fee (500 bucks or so) or DOC
    fees either !!!!

IMO: Forget the diesel.........Too many problems I see here or
    elsewhere. A nice STOUT 2500 hd 6.0 gasser will pull down a
    house and push LOTS of snow to boot.

PLUS the $$$$$$ you will save from the get go !.......geo :drinkup:

13. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

sweet

get one now

nice.JPG

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

VIPER.........Looks GOOD! Gotta show these brand X boys what
    a HARD working unit looks like!..........(chuckle)

YA gotta pull off those flairs tho.! I yanked them off my 01 and 04.
    If mine were body color they would stay tho. :drinkup: .....geo

15. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

ya going to get them painted to match . its a hard woker plow forty accounts just take care of it

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hey George
    Yes we are busy at the Truck Plant, we have two Saturdays for April and March. I try to help out when I can with the discount. We are down to two a month now. Glad to hear that your truck built in Pontiac is running good for you.

Regards Mike