1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

it's that time of year!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dayexco, Aug 18, 2010.

1. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

being asked for proposals for snow removal? given contracts to review? have your attorney review before you sign.

one contract that i'm now sorely familiar with, should you sign their version...

1. you sign away your right to file small claims. you will travel to THEIR state, hire an attorney from THAT state, meet with THEIR arbitration board.

2. should you have a slip and fall, they will deduct what ever they deem is a "fair" price from your contract to "handle" the claim. your insurance company will cover their loss, this is what they determine they need to receive a claim from the injured, and turn around and fax it to your insurance company. in my instance, that "fair" price was $4500. again, you want to contest this, you blah, blah, blah, their state, attorney, arbitration board.

3. if they do this year like the last several, they'll call after you've reached an agreement for your seasonal contract amount, and ask if you'll deduct your contract by 10% as a cost savings to the customer. i've often wondered when contractors do that, how much savings is actually passed on to the property owner? how glad i am i never bit that hook. i've come to the conclusion, in my opinion, it's their intent to entrap the gullible and foolish ones like me, and then just bang them like a screen door in a hurricane.

anyway....pay your attorney $200 to look at the contract before you sign it. you may find the only reason to keep it around, is emergency wipe, or kindling to start a fire. cheapest piece of mind you'll buy all year

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Another one burned by a big bad contract.

Good reminder to everyone to sign only if you agree with and understand your contracts.

3. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I agree. Just got a letter from the attorney generals office in P.A after filing a claim for unpaid wages. After carefull invesitagion they determined I was a contractor so... too bad!!...but of course they do recommend the path you had to take,attorney,arbitration,etc. Plowers beware!!

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Did you not understand that you were a contractor for the mysterious PA company before you filed your complaint?

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Same company has a rep who hasn't been on here in some time

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

bringing to the top for others to view