1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

its snowing, my plow just died in the driveway

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nalegtx, Jan 28, 2013.

1. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

:eek:....yea as i said in the title she's DEAD!. the last few weeks, when it did actually snow, the plow made a loud screech noise after you let off the controller on the right/left controls...but the fluid was new, filter new and everything else was smooth. So the other day i go to move the plow out of the driveway and it will not go up/down/left/right!!! loud buzzing noise from pump like its trying to push fluid but not building any pressure. eventually after several tries and check fluid/connections it went up and worked in all positions. Now, its snowing and it just worked right/left for 10 seconds and now nothing!!!
    Fluid is full, filter is clean/new last week. Connections are good/clean/tight. Just buzzing/growling noise from the pump with no movement. Did i blow my pump gear!!??? please help thanx guys:cry::cry::realmad:

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

What year and model

3. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

early 2000's Insta Act MM1 3 plug

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

ck for gnds at the coils,,,,and signal pwr when the function is used

5. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

I have power. The pump activates when I press on the controller, but the plow doesn't move. The pump just sounds like it is spinning and not pushing fluid

6. dieselss

Ck for gnd and switched pwr at the COILS

7. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

hose are behind the black housing right? don't thy magnetize when they have power?

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Did you check the coils? On the side of the pump is a black cover, remove it and you'll find the coils / valves with 6 spade terminals, check to make sure they're all securely fastened....

Your previous symptoms suggest that the S2 valve was the problem...which I would of advised pulling it, cleaning it and testing it, but now that all functions are down, I would be more apt to think it's a electrical connection at the grill, controller connection, or the controller itself. It takes greater pressure to raise the plow then it does to angle, so if it were the pump or motor that was your issue, then you would of seen it within raising the plow, not angling. Did you notice if angling was any better when it was on the ground, or was it the same no matter if it was in the air, or on the ground?

With that being said, I would check your fluid level first. It should be all the way up to the bottom of the fill tube. I would check your connections at the coils next, paying close attention to the ground pigtails, and again where they connect at the side of the pump to be grounded out. Then the control harness connector at the the grill, paying attention to the pins, and the wires going into the BACK of each connector, looking for weak, corroded, or cut wires.

[​IMG]

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

That is correct, they do. But that doesn't clear the valve...just the coil ontop of it.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Oops, sorry dieselss, I stepped away to take a phone call, and forget to hit submit earlier. Carry on.....

11. dieselss

It's all good,,,,,might also need to jumper cable the motor just to ck that the motor is good/bad

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Some of the earlier pumps had an issue with pickup tube falling off.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Indeed, but it was previously lifting when the problems started...I doubt that's the issue.

14. dieselss

And I thought I read that he already took all that apart

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

After re reading all of this..it's a connection issue. there is no doubt in my mind. It's not the pump, or the motor, it worked, it didn't' work, it worked again, then it didn't..I would go directly to the grill connector myself, then move back into the truck..,or l;ike dieselss said, start at the coil/valves checking signal, then move backwards.

16. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

thanx so much everyone, i greatly appreciate all the amazing advise...thats why i love this place=).. i borrowed a friends back-up truck and got mos of my big accounts done. now i gotta start playing with my pump, unfortunately i have limited time today...i'll get back and let you know what i find..THANX AGAIN =)

Repo i frequent Otisfield,ME a lot. got a camp up there.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Stay out of my town! kidding LOL

I live here year round - can you believe it?

18. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

i love up there. Bray's Is my favorite spot for food/drinks. I envy you being up there...but it is a really small town...but thats why i like it.

Anyway.....i started from the front of the grill and worked through all the wiring ad Repo and Dieselss suggested. I found there was a bit of ice on the controller connection. I used a small copper pipe and heated it with a lighter and used it to probe the female connections and melted away the ice. I then added a fresh squirt of dielectric grease. I then disconnected all the groun wires from the pump. Cleaned and tightened the ground bolt. Connect the grounds back up and.......POWER!!!! she lives again!. Thanx for all the info everyone! :drinkup::mechanic:Thumbs Up

19. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

the $9 heat guns work well and fast when you need to melt ice and dry things out

20. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Sounds a lot like what I was dealling with the other day with my Insta-act unit. @ first I thought I had a fluid related problem due to the extream cold temps we had. But after removing the coil cover and just checking the wires the problem seamed to go away. That would seam to indicate I had a bad ground wire or something like that. Glad to here you resolved your situation!