1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

It's Official, The Powerstroke is Dead!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mid-Ohio Scaper, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Just got done shooting the breeze with my diesel tech and he told me that 2010 is going to be the year the powerstroke dies with Ford and the "Scorpion" is born into the Super Duty mainstream.
    Why can't they just let the damn consumer choose what the hell kind of diesel they want to use?
    Navistar, Cummins, Detroit. I'm an American damnit and I want choice!ussmileyflag

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Why can't they just let the damn consumer choose what the hell kind of diesel they want to use?
    Navistar, Cummins, Detroit. I'm an American damnit and I want choice!ussmileyflag[/QUOTE]

Why can't we just put the best items from each into one great truck?
    Cummins diesel, GMC's ride, suspension of the Ford, handling of a BMW, long term reliability of a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry? Oh ya, and manuverablility like a Bobcat, strong as the Volvo loaders, and disposable like a plastic shovel?

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

Why can't we just put the best items from each into one great truck?
    Cummins diesel, GMC's ride, suspension of the Ford, handling of a BMW, long term reliability of a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry? Oh ya, and manuverablility like a Bobcat, strong as the Volvo loaders, and disposable like a plastic shovel?[/QUOTE]

because id rather have the nice stiff ride of my ford suspension and be able to hang a plow off it without timbrens. this is old news they called this out a while ago. also coming out with a 6 speed auto similar to allison. there going to debut that in 09 f-150's and theres a smaller diesel in the works for the 1/2 tons. the scorpion is said to make 390 hp and 720 ft. lbs. torque stock :D

heres an article on the 6.7 for the super duty's http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/ford/scorpion/ford-scorpion-diesel-said-to-have-big-sting.html

articlle on 4.4l v-8
    http://www.dieselforecast.com/ArticleDetails.php?articleID=208

go on http://www.ford-trucks.com theres forums on all these motors and such already.

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

because id rather have the nice stiff ride of my ford suspension and be able to hang a plow off it without timbrens. this is old news they called this out a while ago. also coming out with a 6 speed auto similar to allison. there going to debut that in 09 f-150's and theres a smaller diesel in the works for the 1/2 tons. the scorpion is said to make 390 hp and 720 ft. lbs. torque stock :D

heres an article on the 6.7 for the super duty's http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/ford/scorpion/ford-scorpion-diesel-said-to-have-big-sting.html

articlle on 4.4l v-8
    http://www.dieselforecast.com/ArticleDetails.php?articleID=208

go on http://www.ford-trucks.com theres forums on all these motors and such already.[/QUOTE]

Yea, thats what he said, read it closely.

5. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

The powerstroke died when they stopped making the 7.3L, old news!

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Do you really think Ford will debut its heavy duty similair to the Allison transmission in an f150? I doubt it.

Ford hasn't been able to do squat with it's last two engines. I doubt this one will be any better, especially since it can't master the emissions equipment either.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

3 times a charm:jester:

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Could be but I will be the first to tell the guy who posts up on here that his new 6.7 Ford is in the shop and its his only truck and now he is in deep doo doo and he has no idea how he will get his accounts done and he is worried he will lose them all and not be able to make his truck payment that he is :dizzy: for jumping right on that one! Guess it will be a couple years, but I'll be ready to flame! LOL

9. LawnProLandscapes

quote from article "Scorpion fuel economy is expected to improve by 3 mpg or more compared to the current Power Stroke. Helping the Scorpion's mileage will be a new six-speed automatic transmission, like the 2009 Ford F-150 will have. " yea they had problems with 6.0's but theres also 6.0's that are running great, and the 6.4 hasnt been too bad besides poor fuel economy. Navistar hasnt gotten it together since the 7.3 so im hoping ford did some research and a hell of a lot of testing on this new motor which sounds like they have

your right cummins makes a great motor, too bad dodge cant build a truck to put it in.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah and Fords the best truck made because you don't need Timbrens. :rolleyes:

11. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Well...Im curious to say the least.

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

The development of the 4.4 diesel in the F-150 has been postponed and they won't be developing it until further notice.

And it would be my guess that the name Powerstroke won't be dead, Scorpion is a name that Ford has used in the past for developmental engines. I believe Powerstroke is copyrighted to Ford not international, they have nothing to do with the name, they just build the engines.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  13. LawnProLandscapes

never said it was the best just stated i dont want a suspension out of a gmc/chevy, for what i do id rather have the ford suspension and have it ride like a lumber wagon. ford has its flaws just like every other truck, and plow and so on. dont get me wrong there are features of those trucks i would like with mine, but overall i buy Ford's because overall i like them better.

14. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I guess I'm out of the loop when it comes to cutting edge Ford news:confused: I didn't realize it was old news.

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You are still observe about F250 you used to have back in 88 Maybe you should think about GM 6.2L you used to have. There are no good truck or best engine.

Now they are different no more TTB front axle on superduty. They have solid axle.

I don't feel comfy use chevy because frame problem like this. http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=413342&postcount=7

For me I would buy Ford, chevy, and Dodge with solid axle instead IFS.

16. LawnProLandscapes

check out that ford trucks forum i posted. alot of good info. on there on all the of the ford trcuks engines and different trucks. you can also look up your trucks recalls and TSB's on there. i still cant wait to see these motors come out, it will be nice to see an inhouse diesel and hopefully it does good.

17. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I REALLY hope it does good also!!!!!! I fear that if it were to fail along with the 6.0 black eye it will scare Ford beyond repair. And that my friends would crush me! NO JOKE! I could never buy a Chevy or a Dodge and feel as good about it as I do my Ford truck.

Also do you have a link to your forum?

18. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Don't blame International, blame Ford's crappy programming. From what I understand the 6.0 is working fine in the International trucks.

19. LawnProLandscapes

its www.ford-trucks.com theres also a dealer on there you can order factory parts from and get a discount, even with shipping from him i saved about 20 bucks on a part my local dealer wanted over 60 bucks for.

i dont think it will be that bad, ford will be in charge of there own product and i think even they know its time to show up. im sure they could of found another good diesel company to make there diesels but they are taking it on there own... idk everyone has there opinion but ive still got faith in ford and am not too worried.. if worse comes to worse there gasser motors arent all that bad :D

20. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Thats too bad its made in mexico