1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Its never too late!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PerfiCut L&L, Oct 20, 2005.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

I just wanted to offer some hope for those just getting into the snow arena. Ive been reading through a lot of threads, new and old, lately, and I see a lot of new people trying to pickup work at all times of the season only see that more often than not, negative advice is given, about being too late or you should have started much sooner.

When I started, it was a late blooming idea... I didnt finaly convince myself to just GO FOR IT until probably October. I found a truck and a plow in November, and finaly had it registered, titled, inspected and repaired until around mid December. Determined, I set out to all the businesses I was willing/capable of handling. I talked to as many managers, owners, or reps as I could. Some had service already, some didnt, some were looking for new providers. I picked up about 5 or 6 good hours of work within two weeks.

I kept that work load through the season, picking up a late customer in Feb. With that said I was able to make enough to cover my expenses, and nearly pay for the truck. Granted the truck and plow only cost 7k but I was extremely pleased. Rushed, but pleased.

Of course starting early fall is an excellent time. Business owners thinking ahead, companies preparing and opening bids for the upcoming fiscal year, and smart home owners are willing and shopping then. Not to mention, it allows you plenty of time to prepare your routes and any special needs/equipment/supplies.

So, be it early or late, I would have to say the ability to pick up customers is primarily based on your determination and desire to get them, and what your willing to do to make that happen ie:manual door to door time, flyers, posters, ads... whatever it may be.

Keep your head up and foot down.

Good Luck.
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Same type of story with me. Last year I got a truck and plow in late October. Did the same thing you did, talked to every commercial lot I could find. In less than two weeks I signed 2 Gas Stations, 1 Restaurant, 2 Hotels, and 18 driveways. All the Commercial were within 3 miles ( some right next store) and all drives were within a one mile radius of my home. It was a lot of work for one truck but I got it all done on time every time not sure how, but I did it. So if you don't have any accounts stop playing on Plow Site and start knocking on doors:p .
  3. FireParm84

FireParm84 Junior Member

Nice website!!

I just wanted to say that your website looks great. Happy plowing this winter. If you get to snowed in this winter, contact me and I will come up from Richmond! Good luck!