1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Its hitting us now!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ceaman, Mar 25, 2002.

1. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

The snow and ice are hitting us now at about an inch an hour. We are right on the line where the big flakes are falling and the ice is mixed in it... Im ready to go plow...:rolleyes: :) :D
  2. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Nothing here yet but they are forecasting up to 5" by evening. This weather is insane! Maybe we'll be building an Easter snowman this year, just like when I was a kid in the early-mid 80's?
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

We have about 2" on the ground right now. Gonna dust off the plow and get pushing real soon.

What will it take to get you out here to spray a concrete gas station??? The station does not want salt but still wants to see the bare ground. I told her it would cost her.:cool:

here it comes in ohio!!!!!! a few inches on the ground expecting 5to8 overnight:D maybe mother natures confused this year? spring finally arrives and now we get drilled???:confused:
  5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Didn't do much

We got the snow but only 2" of it. Expected more. Actually, I am lucky to have only gotten this much. A couple of my trucks are in the shop and we wouldn't be able to handle the snow we were expecting.

I did plow the Cracker Barrel here in town but that was about it.
  6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

We just got about an inch in the northern part of the area but you should've seen the cars in the ditches. Now it is supposed to turn to rain tonight and then it should just be rain coming down through tomorrow.
    Good thing though that it slacked off since the C-70 dump has been up to the rear axle in mud for 5 1/2 hours. Thank God for semi class wreckers with LONG spools of cable as I was about 250' from the road.

Sandy's Road One Towing and Recovery down here around the Dayton area takes good care of my business needs. Thanks Sandy's!!!

7. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I still have plenty of liquid!!!!

I plowed from 4 am till 730pm and we are supposed to get the same again tomorrow...
  8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

We got 6" to 7" &

1 1/2 hr of rain on top of the snow, heavy pushing. Salted every thing Monday morning then started plowing everything 2 hrs later & plow every thing again :D :D & then salted everything again. Tuesday morning NO Snow but ice rain salted everthing again, waiting to go out 1 more time as ice rain is not to stop till 10:00 AM.

If I were a tow truck I could have pull out at least 40 cars, SUV'S, & Trucks, when will they learn to slow down :confused: .
  9. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Large white snowflakes falling outside my office window. :D I think the weather is confused cause the temp right now is 40. I think it is going to turn to rain :mad:
  10. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

ready and waiting....

I was looking the news and saw a reports from Indiana, nice preview of this white stuff going on our way. They said for us Up to 10 inches quickly and a lot of rain by late night and tomorow.

and i heard of may be something this week end. Well 10 days ago i did my own spring clean up, what a mistake, since this days we had 3 events, total 12 inches. Look likes we will celebrate easter whitout the early flowers.

We are now close to our average snowfall, but the number of event is definitively too high.

I wish everyone a good end for the current seasons. I mean enough reason to justify higher price for next year.;)

Where i got screwed this winter, i did not get enough per push on low trigger....This bad ratio didnot cover the dayly operation expences. Lesson learned.
  11. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

They were calling for 15-25cm yesterday, then they changed it to 15cm, then 10cm, and now "mixed precipitation with varying accumulation totals".

This always happens when all our gear and guys are ready and waiting. It's the surprise snowfalls that are the ones with heavy snow totals.

I went out around lunchtime and salted a few properties, but most lots didn't need anything. That's probably good 'cause I barely have enough salt left to do the whole route once. Don't want to have to order more this late in the season either.

Maybe you'll get snow instead of ice pellets like us. If your billing "per push" I hope you do. All of our stuff is seasonal contracts...I don't need or want any more snow!
  12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

2-6" of snow and sleet predicted for NW Vermont this afternoon and into the evening. It's 34 right now and snowing moderately, very small flakes that are melting as they fall on paved areas. Forecast is for temperatures to rise through the night to a high of around 40 tomorrow and then drop off again. Snow is supposed to change to sleet then freezing rain and finally rain, with pockets of freezing rain through the night. Rain may be heavy at times.

At this point I think the best bet, for me, is to sit tight and see what really happens. If I salt now it's going to go into solution and wash off when/if we get heavy precipitation of any sort. If I don't salt it will probably start packing on as the sun goes down and I'll have some quantity of hard pack to deal with. BUT, if it warms as forecast it will go away by itself when the rain starts.

Where did I put my crystal ball?
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2002
  13. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Vermont update

Close to 5" down now. I just pushed the two places that really need access, a diner and a convenience store. Traffic had been keeping it broke up and the pavement was warm enough that it wasn't packing on.

Forecast is now for it to stay all snow and stop by "early evening", which to my way of thinking should be right about now. Radar is showing snow all the way to Albany, freezing rain and then rain south of that. System is moving NNE so it looks like it will be several hours past early evening before it will be over with.

Rush hour traffic is winding down now, so everybody can get home with no real problem. We'll go out before midnight and give it hell. Barring some unforeseen happening we'll only put two trucks out, I had one painted last week and have been waiting for a warm day to put chip coating on the box rails before I put the headache rack back on. Without the rack we have no warning lights or big backup lights so I'd rather not have to saddle that one up unless it's necessary.
  14. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Most job are under contract, usually i keep 25% of my income from per push basis, but this year a lot of them switch to seasonnal, result, under 6" i don't have any per push. May be it is time to put a limit of event for seasonnal contract. Usually this situation was avoided by the income of the per push.

I definitively want to turn the page and focus on summer, but before april 15, all may happen.

the Snow had started this mid afternoon and it fall at rate of close 1" per hour.
  15. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Been snowing v-e-r-y lightly all day, picking up a little now. Weather channel calls for:

Orillia, Canada
    Last updated Tuesday, March 26, at 4:35 PM Local Time (Tuesday 4:35 PM EST)

Tonight: Periods of snow. Low near 22F. Winds NNW 10 to 15 mph. 4 to 8 inches of snow expected.

Tomorrow: Cloudy. Snow showers scattered about the area ending in the morning. High near 35F. Winds NW 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 50%.

Tomorrow night: Partly cloudy skies. Low around 17F. Light W winds.

Looks like a plowable event out of the deal anyway, off to bed early to be up around 1:00 am......................... say, all this snow we're getting now that it's "officially" spring means my new bike must be completed, or at least darn close to it! :D

And - nice to see you "on-line" again Denis! :)
  16. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Must be nice to be a meteorologist. Them and major league hitters are the only ones I can think of that can fail 75% of the time and still keep their jobs.

After supper we went out and salted our largest property which now has become a total waste of salt and time. Before we even left the property it began snowing like nuts. Hasn't stopped since. Last weather report from the Weather Network Channel said 1cm total accumulation for us...uh-huh.

We'll be out all night, probably start around midnite. If it's stopped by then! Once again they get the timing wrong, the type of precipitation wrong, and the amount wrong!

Can't wait for grass cuttin' time!
  17. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I just finished... 2- 16 hour days of plowing and I am done... we had 7" monday and 4" tuesday, both daytime storms:(. I did a lot of chasing this storm around trying to keep all of the clients happy...
  18. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

:mad: can't eve beg snow or ice here, we got rain bout to pack it in. the guessers said we'd get som of everything, but nothing happened. ice on powerlines etc, ground to warm to stay

19. SCL

SCL Senior Member

It was hilarious. I left a friend in charge of my accounts and went to Kentucky fishing. It sucked(nother story) :( but on the way home we stopped at a mall near Champagne and they had 6" guys were plowing, schools were closed, the whole shot. Drove a half hour north and down to nothing. Least I didn't miss anything.